Change a Plug-in to a Hard Wire???

uber_bwnageJanuary 21, 2010

I found some undercabinet lights that I really like, and they are plug-in.

I would rather have them hard wired to a switch on the wall I can change to a duplex.

Is it possible to hard wire them?

Do I just cut off the plug and wire them up?

Or am I missing something?

Help please experts!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The short answer is no, you can't simply cut off the plug. You need to find fixtures that are designed to be hardwired.

    Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 5:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Check with the manufacturer.

Some companies have the small power supplies dual listed.

You can always put receptacles controlled by a switch in the cabinets and then plug the lights in.

    Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 7:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The mfr. probably makes both versions, but your supplier/store just had the one in stock. Make them do a little work and order you the one YOU need.

    Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 12:46PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™