Painting windows - trim looks bad

newhomeowner-2009April 24, 2011

So I'm doing some painting at our summer home once the weather gets a bit warmer, and I'm noticing that one of my storm windows needs work. It's pretty permanently affixed at the moment, summer and winter, so we'll be painting with it installed.

From a distance it looks like this:

Not too bad. But when you get close, there's some deterioration around the trim (if that's the word, I'm new at this).

Also the window sills and the area below need to be painted, obviously, but I'm concerned about the window itself. I've done a bit of exterior painting but not around windows.

So I guess the question is how to attack this. I'm pretty new to this, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanjf_gw

read this site...that isn't "trim" but glazing compound which holds the glass in place...

before painting the wood trim, remove any peeling or flaking paint...diy has pointers on that, also...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-repair-and-repaint-old-window-sashes/index.html

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 9:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Time for major window work if you want to refurbish them.

The sashes need to come out, the glass needs to come out, then be bedded and glazed again.

While the glass is out you can scrape the rest of the sash, repair any open joints, and then prime and paint.

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
Sliding Glass Door Brand Recommendations
Thank you for your help here a week or so ago, when...
Carrie B
Deciding between Grand Estates/Amcraft or Okna 500dx, advice?
Both are new construction. The Grand Estates is just...
happyallison
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
shadey
new construction vs "replacement" windows
I am somewhat confused from reading various company...
mmdoh
Simonton 5500 v. Soft-Lite Pro (replacement and new )
Hi, We are remodeling our house in Washington DC. We...
amy2905
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™