Distorted Reflection insulated glass windows

hyrailApril 23, 2010

I'm replacing the insulated glass inserts in my aluminum frame windows because of fogging. (North Texas) They are not low-e glass. When observed from the exterior, my existing windows reflect a true undistorted reflection, which I like. I've had two of the 23 windows replaced recently; 21 to go. Not low-E. The replacement insulated glass have a distorted reflection. Almost as if the glass is deflected by either a vacuum or pressure between the two panes. Most of the homes built in this area the past 10 or 15 years contain windows with distorted reflections, including half-million dollar homes. Is there a process for making insulated glass that does not deflect the panes? If not deflection, what causes the distorted reflection?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowinsider

The answer is to have an optically pure, undistorted reflexion, and/or glass with no curviture (sp?). You will need to invest in high-end, premium insulated glass units. I believe PPG manufactures the cleanest float glass - based on my observations. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 10:56AM
More Discussions
Fiberglass Windows from Hardie????
We need to replace 3 windows in our family room. ...
dancingqueengw
Quick advice re: matching door and window grills & transom size
I have french doors sitting between two sets of side...
happyallison
Need Help with new window brands
We are early in the new home construction process (finalizing...
mmdoh
Time to replace the windows?
There has been almost constant ice build up around...
tonyzzztony
Window Decision Time
Hi all, First, let me thank all of you for the information...
Chris
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™