29 windows, stained wood interior, and money

geeketteApril 24, 2013

Our central NC house was built in the late '80's and the windows and sills are failing. I'd say of the 58 panes, 10 or more of the seals have failed, few can be opened, there are no screens, and probably half the sills were clad due to rot when we replaced the masonite with Hardi 6 years ago.

So...new windows.

Pella wants over $30k for their Architect series (cottage split for most windows, so Proline is out), but since they would be both manufactured and installed by Pella, one would hope there'd be no finger pointing if something goes wrong.

Googling Pella, Andersen, Marvin, etc., just brings up complaints, class action lawsuits, and bad news, much of it very out of date.

What we want is wood interior stained to match existing trim and a low maintenance exterior, with assurances that things would be put right if there are problems. Hopeless? Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HomeSealed

Marvin Integrity wood/ultrex is a nice option that is budget friendly.
With clad exteriors, extruded is superior to roll-formed, so the Marvin Ultimate would be better there, along with some other options like Kolbe.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 6:04PM
heidihausfrau

We have Pella and are very happy with them. We just replace the kitchen window with another Pella--we have lived here 22 years and that thing was here when we got here.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 8:21AM
millworkman

+ 1 on Homesealed recommendations, and personally I would shy away from anything Pella.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 9:08AM
geekette

Pella seem to be love 'em or hate 'em. I know they had some problems years ago, and hopefully they learned from that. Other problems I see mentioned are usually with the install (or finger pointing).

We have a slider that was installed a couple years ago and it works very well.

I'll look into Marvin, but I can't get their integritywindows website to work (or maybe it's my browser).

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Is this too much to pay?
My mom has two sets of French doors she needs to have...
joaniben
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
shadey
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
Marvin: Can't find Air Infiltration Specs
I am choosing between Marvin clad and Woodwright double...
texas_al
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™