wish me luck

helpwiththisJuly 5, 2009

I have decided to tell my sister that at the end of the summer my babysitting services are over. I am telling her that I have helped her out for a while now and in the fall my kids will be in school all day. I want to use that time to do some freelance work and get some projects done around my home. I know that this is going to be a difficult conversation and instead of thanking me for what I have done she is going to freak out over what I will no longer do. She will complain and ask me what I expect her to do. So wish me luck and the strength to stay calm!!!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweeby

I wish you luck -- Give her plenty of notice, since she'll need time to make plans. And you may want to plan something that takes you away from the house for most of the first few weeks (a morning art class?) just to make it easier to stick to it.

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 12:35PM
organic_maria

Yes, Throwing much luck your way. And dont feel guilty after the talk. Stand firm with your decision. And i agree Sweeby has a great idea! Book yourself up for the first few weeks.

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 2:21PM
kkny

Good luck -- yes, come up with a schedule, maybe volunetering at your kids school, whatever.

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 3:13PM
pfllh

You may want to drop a hint here or there so it's not such a big shock. Just mention you've been thking seriously about the freelance. You can mention with both in school, you'll be getting involved and maybe even room mother. Then when it's time for no more babaysitting, it's a done deal. Just as her child comes first to her (in a manner of speaking) your children come first to you and no time for babysitting. Good Luck. Lynn

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 8:16PM
stargazzer

Be strong. I would have raised 9 grand kids if I had not been strong in some cases. I lied in other situations until they got the idea. I am not a liar usually, but they were his kids and hated to alienate his children. I didn't worry to much about mine. LOL

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 9:06PM
mom2emall

How did it go?

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 8:47AM
wild_thing

luck to you

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 5:36PM
helpwiththis

It went so well. I was amazed. She told me that she half expected things to go that way since I have been mentioning freelancing. She was very mature about it all.

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 1:10PM
kkny

That is great --

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
Mellow with time
After 16 years, the strong emotions have subsided. His...
southernlights
To visit or not to visit
About three years ago, after many instances of being...
wrychoice1
husband has new found 21 year old daughter
I am having a lot of trouble coping. Please dont beat...
bethster71
if I could tell stepmothers of adult children anything
My dad remarried last year, a year after my mother...
lilysuzanne40
Post Partum Depression Because of Step-Grandmother?
I have a 5 year old boy and a 4 month old girl. I was...
CarolinaMom36
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™