Bathroom wiring

luganJanuary 30, 2012

I'm trying to take power from an existing GFCI plug and add a thermostat to take wire from kit down to a small heated floor mat under tile then power over to a switch to operate a ceiling exhaust fan and then power over to a light switch...any offers on a wiring diagram?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Depending on what else is on that circuit this may or may not be legal. Does the circuit feeding the GFCI serve other bathrooms?

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 3:50PM
lugan

No, it had the 3-way switched vanity lighting on it before i gutted the room in order to add ceiling exhaust fan, an additional light and heated floor

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 4:25PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Lighting should never be run off of an outlet, much less a GFI outlet. If you need additional lighting, it should be run from the lighting circuit that powers that segment of the home. A heated floor needs it's own dedicated outlet and also should never be run from a GFI outlet.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 8:46PM
petey_racer

hollysprings, do you have ANY code facts to back up what you are saying??
I have a few to dispute most of it.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 8:58PM
Ron Natalie

A bathroom circuit not shared with other room is permitted to serve both the receptacles and the lighting. The one thing I would avoid doing is putting the lighting (except for things that specifically require it) on the the load side of the GFCI (it's kind of annoying to lose the lighting if you trip the GFCI).

With the exception of the few circuits required to be dedicated to receptacles (kitchens, laundry, and multiple bathrooms on the same receptacle circuit), there's no code reason to put lighting on a different circuit than the receptacles.

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 7:31AM
More Discussions
Need to Understand GFCI Requirements.
I posted this in the remodeling section, but I think...
homechef59
Outdoor subpanel as AC disconnect
Can we use an outdoor subpanel as an AC disconnect?...
ylmzm
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Subpanel Question
I have a 100 amp panel being fed by #4 awg copper wire I...
Calo Renovations
Goodbye Phone Jack: what to do with wires?
We want to remove this phone jack. It's in a useless...
maggiepatty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™