Marvin Ultimate BiParting/Sliding Doors

mydreamhomeApril 3, 2011

Anyone have any longterm experience with this product? DH is worried about how long the smooth easy opening of the doors will last since we don't plan to move again and would prefer not to replace for a very long time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amber_windows

I am a service coordinator for this brand. What type of bi-parting door are you looking for? I would assume a Sliding French by the phrase - rolls smoothly, but we also have the lift and slide. If you can be a little specific as to his concerns I will try and address them for you.

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 5:07PM
mydreamhome

amber windows- Thanks for offering to help. DH is worried that the smooth operation we saw in the showroom will not last and we will end up with a difficult to open door as the only access to the back yard from inside the house.

These are the type of doors I'm talking about:

Thanks for any input you can give.

Bookmark   April 12, 2011 at 10:12AM
millworkman

I personally have sold many of this type unit if these are the standard slider which they appear to be. The only thing you need to do is clean the track out regularly as crap tends to collect which will bind up the rollers. If you go with a lift and slide style the track becomes a much lower profile and this becomes less of an issue although the then the door panels tend to become somewhat heavy and the handle for the lift action can require some strength

Bookmark   April 12, 2011 at 12:27PM
amber_windows

It's an OXXO USFD that you are looking at. Millworkman is correct that the debris in the track is the key element in causing the door to operate roughly. Installation is also key. A plumb, level, and square door will operate like a dream. The Lift and Slide is meant for a new construction application and has a 7/32" tolerance on the sill. Not much can collect there, but you are also not rated for water infiltration. 9 pounds per square foot is the approx. weight on the panels. It all depends on what you are going for in regards to design.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
Looking for recomendations re: replacing sliding patio doors in MN
As the title says, I'm researching replacement our...
billpw
Deciding between Grand Estates/Amcraft or Okna 500dx, advice?
Both are new construction. The Grand Estates is just...
happyallison
Softlite Elements windows quote reasonable?
We're in MA. We've been quoted $13,300 for installing...
ppurus
Quick advice re: matching door and window grills & transom size
I have french doors sitting between two sets of side...
happyallison
Sliding Glass Door Brand Recommendations
Thank you for your help here a week or so ago, when...
Carrie B
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™