Rounding a cut glass edge

onewomanarmyJuly 26, 2013

This may not be the right place, and I may still find that this info has been covered already (my apologies if so!) but can someone tell me the best way to get a nice rounded edge on a piece of cut glass? I'm thinking along the lines of a torch - but not sure what to look for. I realize you can sand down the edges, but I've not been happy with the finished product by doing that.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvamae

The only way to achieve that round edge that I know of is a "soft fire" in a kiln.

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 6:55PM
onewomanarmy

That's what I was afraid of. I don't have a kiln though so was hoping I could accomplish the same thing - or approximately so - with a torch.

So, it's either sanding/grinding and polishing or a kiln to get a nice rounded edge then? I have a flat lap that makes it easy to get a nice finish on a flat edge (like when cutting a bottle) but it still leaves a fairly sharp/uncomfortable edge between that flat surface and the sides of the bottle. I've found a I have a difficult time angling the glass to get a nice even rounded edge on the outside edge - and because of the curve, can't get into the inside edge to round it at all. So was really hoping a torch would be the answer.

Back to the drawing board I guess!

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 6:38PM
silvamae

A glass worker's torch might be able to do that -- I don't know but it might be worth finding out.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 7:12PM
Calamity_J

I would think that a belt sander used for such a thing or a glass grinder with a beveling kit on it would do the job.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 1:13AM
willow-bee

I'm not sure if you need to have a shiny/polished edge, or just a smooth one. If you don't need a polished edge, I would use a stained glass grinder. I have gotten many years of use out of my Inland "Wiz" series grinder.

Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 2:02PM
segrieb

I use my stained glass grinder to round the edges of glass, especially when I am doing mosaics. Grinding leaves a dulled glass appearance. Easy to fix... just apply a thin layer of clear fingernail polish to these dulled edges. The rounded edge becomes shiny, blending nicely with the flat surface of the glass piece.

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 7:12PM
More Discussions
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
Outdoor Thermometer
Did this to go on our porch next to the kitchen door....
brokenbitmosaics
Help! Newbie Ballchain
Hi everyone new here! I want to incorporate ball chain...
KathyC55
Need grout colour suggestion.
I have been working on this project through the holidays...
tiffy_z5_6_can
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™