What size fits a 3 inch can?

joeboldtJanuary 7, 2012

I installed several halo H38LVICAT cans. These are listed as 3 inch cans. So, I went out and bought some 3 inch trim kits. They were too small and didn't fit. I ordered different 3 inch trim kits from another manufacturer. They also were too small. I called the maker of the trim kits who basically said there wasn't really a standard. I measured my cans and sure enough they are about three and a half inches in diameter.

Am I stuck buying Halo trim? I had wanted chrome trim but they don't make those.

Thanks,

Joe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Welcome to the world of 'nominal' dimensions.

For cans, you often need to use the same manufacturer's trim for things to align correctly.

Bookmark   January 7, 2012 at 2:48PM
petey_racer

For the most part, recessed lighting trims are proprietary, meaning you have to install trims from the same manufacturer and series. So a Lightolier "6 inch" can's trims will NOT fit a Halo 6" can (actually 6-3/4").

Some home center brands will fit name brand cans though. Like HD sells Commercial Electric trims that fit Halo cans.

Your H38 series are quite unique though, and I'm pretty sure only Halo trims will fit.

Bookmark   January 7, 2012 at 4:27PM
joeboldt

Sigh. Thanks for the info. They're installed so I guess Halo trim is what it will be.

Bookmark   January 7, 2012 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
Wall-plate power for Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phone base
My current Panasonic cordless phone system has become...
turfserf
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
CharlesInVT
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™