Can You Run NM-B Between J-Box and Wall Stud? (pic)

Tom PultzJanuary 17, 2010

I have a few j-boxes where I've run NM-B cable between the j-box and the wall stud as shown in the picture. The cables are not pinched and there seems to be plenty of room... I just don't know if it's legal. I did a similar thing around a round nail-on box for the wall sconces.

The reason I ran them this way is there's another single gang receptacle box on the wall below and the existing cable (which is a home run for the kitchen circuit) will only reach that far... there isn't enough slack to run around the (new) 3-gang switch box.

I can run a new home run if necessary... please advise.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcurtisjr

It is "legal" according to the National Electric code, however it would be up to the local inspector as to whether he alows it or not. If you're really concerned you could drill a small hole in the center of the stud just above the kitchen home run box and locate the wires on the other side of the stud. This would only require about 3 inches of slack (much less than going around the three gang box) and would definately pass inspection.

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 3:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tom Pultz

"jr" has a good idea. The home run in question already goes through an upper floor joist in line with the stud, so it's already "on the other side" coming from the panel, which means there will be plenty of slack to run it down the other side of the stud and come through above the single gang box.

The big question is whether I can drill a hole in the top plate of the wall. My joist drill won't fit in that space but my 18V drill/driver should be able to handle it... or I can just use a long auger bit.

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 4:00PM
More Discussions
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
CharlesInVT
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™