General Remodeler or Window Installer Only?

Emmers00April 11, 2011

My husband and I recently purchased our first home. We're planning to have quite a bit of work done. Our purchase price per square foot was very low given the neighborhood and general condition of the house, and we believe this is because of the house's style - the previous owner tried to turn a federal style home into some sort of '70's modern thing, and failed miserably. We'd like to turn it back into something with more of a traditional look.

These are the major projects:

1. Replace brown vinyl casements on the main part of the house (the whole house except the top floor/solarium) with white vinyl double hungs (with grids between the glass or outside, we can't decide).

2. Completely redo the kitchen.

3. Remove the solarium window from the top of the house and replace it with regular windows and a roof. (Yes, we have a solarium window - the kind people usually put on the back of their houses - on the top of our house, in the front, where one would expect to see a sloping roof).

4. Turn top floor (currently a mostly useless very large solarium room that spans the entire floor) into 2 or 3 bedrooms.

We'd like to do the windows on the main part of the house first, because they're difficult to open and close and leak air and water. However, we don't know if we should hire a company that does only windows (could do only #1 in the list above), a company that does windows and roofs (could do #1 and #3), or a general renovation contractor (could do #1-4).

I would guess we could get a better price on the windows from a windows-only company, but it seems that there could be some benefit to working with fewer contractors(both for the duration of the projects and with regards to repairs and warranties after the work is done). Also, can we trust that a general renovation contractor will do an A+ job on the installation/insulation of the windows?

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Get a hold of a reputable General Contractor and Architect and follow their recommendations.

Bookmark   April 12, 2011 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
Need help. Looking for window expert consultant in Minneapolis
We had our windows replaced (full replacement) and...
judyrk
Sunrise, Marvin, and window shopping woes
Hello, I am looking for some advice. Briefly, we live...
Summer
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
LittleHouseotPrairie
Any opinions on Hurd H3?
I know Hurd is not well-regarded here on GW but the...
song_ca
Plantation Shutters Pros/Cons, need advice
Hi, I'm new to this website and owning a home so forgive...
rehsanipoor
Sponsored Products
King Modern Baroque Duvet Cover 108" x 95" - NEUTRAL (95X108)
$1,525.00 | Horchow
39" Matthews Duplo Dinamico Copper Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Chooty and Co. Gotcha Bella 17 x 17 in. Decorative Throw Pillow - Set of 2 Multi
$73.99 | Hayneedle
Dayton Tea Leaf Neutral Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Ramon Soler by Nameeks US-3319 Single Handle Pull Out Kitchen Faucet - US-3319
$626.92 | Hayneedle
Scroll-Pattern King Sham - IVORY
$90.00 | Horchow
Lightolier Black Finish End Feed Canopy Kit
$19.90 | Lamps Plus
Bali Casual Classics Roman Shades: Verdant
Blindsgalore
People viewed this after searching for: