remove broken pane out of double pane window?

merrybookwyrmApril 6, 2010

I'm a total newb about window repair.

The outer window pane on a double-pane window broke at our house. Got a big hole. All instructions that I've googled about removing this broken pane have started with removing the window from the house, then disassembling the window frame, then removing the broken glass, etc. If I am going to go to that much trouble, then as old as these windows are, a new replacement window is probably better. However we can't afford that at present, especially since the window installers I've talked to so far will only give a quote for windows for the entire house! Something about it being too expensive to get their crew(s) out for only one window...

So. Do I really have to remove the window from the house to get at the broken glass, or is there some way the broken glass can be removed from the aluminum frame without removing the whole window assembly?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rjoh878646

With double pane windows you cannot just replace one layer of the glass . The entire glass hass to be repalaced. A reputable glass company can do it for you.

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 1:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
merrybookwyrm

Thank you. Rats. I was hoping I could just take the broken pane out and leave it out, so that section would be single pane.

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
Looking for recomendations re: replacing sliding patio doors in MN
As the title says, I'm researching replacement our...
billpw
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
Which LoE coating ?
New construction. House located in Knoxville, Tennessee Front...
buildinse
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
LittleHouseotPrairie
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™