Finished Basement Lights Wiring Help

hosta_nutJanuary 23, 2014

All,

I want to have 4 zones in my basement with 6 can lights to each zone. I want to have Dimmer control on each zone. In my last house I wired this up no problem with the bank of swithces at the bottom of the stairs and then a zone controler dimmer in each zone, my kids would leave a light zone on, and I would have to walk down to turn it off. Now my second house.... I want to control this from the top of the stairs. So.... Can I wire in a master switch to control all zones if it on they are on, if its off they are off? Do I have ech switch bank at the top of the stairs? that wold be alot of switches to trun on to get lights. Looking for some feedback as I have the lights hung and I am ready to wire. Thanks!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoffrey_b

I have a Lightolier Multiset lighting system in my home. You can get 4 dimmers, and a master. You will need 14/3 wire (3rd wire is for the master). With the master you can also set 'scenes' - (besides all on/off, or all dim).

Here is a link that might be useful: Lightolier Multiset Pro

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 1:46PM
ionized_gw

Are these lighting zones in one big room or in separate rooms? Is the stairway lighting part of one or another of the zones or on its own?

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 2:18PM
hosta_nut

Thanks for the fast responce.
I was planning a seperate switch and light for my stairwell. But If there was a cheap solution, I would integrate that into a plan like the above mentioned system (Im not sure on the cost).
The zones will be bascially in one very large open concept basement. PLease see the attached sketch.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 2:30PM
Ron Natalie

Any of the home automation switches will likely suffice. I'm partial to the Z-WAVE stuff. As far as code goes, the only thing you really are required to do is have a switch for the stair lights at both ends of the stairs (or a motion activated device).

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™