Moving Electrical panel Box

idie2liveJanuary 14, 2011

Hello everyone. I have a question about moving my panel box.

I want to have my box rotated 180 degrees so that it faces in the opposite direction. This is the box on the right side of the short wall

I want it to face the left side of the wall instead.

My question: approximately how many hours would it take the electrician to move the box?

I don't know what type of service panel it is, but I have a photo of the inside of it

I know there is no way to give a definite amount of time it will take (because of unforseen problems) but I would love to have an idea before I call for an estimate.

TIA, Loretta

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

It should only take several hours for an electrician to disconnect the wires and rotate the box if that was all that was involved. However, it's hard to tell what all is happening in that box. For example, it looks like there are wires coming out of the bottom of the box that are going somewhere else, and there may also be some splices in the box that are not to code. How much these issues add to the time I can't say. Also, you are aware, aren't you, that the electrician will have to cut out sheetrock above and below the box to pull the wires through and then reinstall them once the box is turned? And you are getting a permit, right?

Bookmark   January 14, 2011 at 3:49PM
kurto

The other potential issue is that the wires on the left will enter the panel on the right (and vice versa) when the box is flipped. The wires may not be long enough to reach the same circuit breakers and may need to be extended, which will require extra time to complete.

I agree with kudzu9 that code violations would need to be corrected as part of this change, and could substantially impact the cost of the project.

Bookmark   January 14, 2011 at 4:13PM
idie2live

Thanks for your reply, Kudzu9.

I've been in my house for 40 years, but the box was changed about 20 years ago to add 2 breakers. The splice is from the doorbell transformer (I think).

I'm thinking about adding a room (which would require a permit), so I'm trying to decide how many other projects I may be able to afford to have done at the same time. Of course with an older house, I can bet some type of problem will come up. But I think I will ask for a seperate estimate anyway.
Thanks for your reply. It will give me some questions to ask the electrician.

Bookmark   January 14, 2011 at 4:33PM
idie2live

Thank you for your reply also, Kurto. Yes, I definitely would want everything to be up to code.

I've tried to familiarize myself with articles about moving a panel box, but most of it turns out to be instructions on changing outlets.

If any one has any other pointers, issues or questions I should talk to the contractor about, I would be happy to get them.

Bookmark   January 14, 2011 at 4:50PM
ontariojer

It's hard to say for sure from that picture But it looks to me like there is no separate ground in this panel? If true, I'm going to say that will be a problem for changing out the panel. Just changing out the panel would be a few hours, but If it needs a new feed run- impossible to say without being there.

Bookmark   January 14, 2011 at 10:48PM
brickeyee

If that is a sub-panel it is not installed correctly.

A sub-panel needs a 4-wire feed (hot-hot-neutral-ground) and the grounds and neutrals must be separated.

Bookmark   January 15, 2011 at 2:38PM
More Discussions
Need to Understand GFCI Requirements.
I posted this in the remodeling section, but I think...
homechef59
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
Goodbye Phone Jack: what to do with wires?
We want to remove this phone jack. It's in a useless...
maggiepatty
can homeowner so electrical work in his own home ? (above ground pool)
I live in Western ma and I'm having an Adobe ground...
growingadvice
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
bicyclegirl1
Sponsored Products
Chintaly Fenya Dining Table with Glass Top - CTY1321
$658.24 | Hayneedle
Lush Decor Ivory 84-inch Ruffle Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
Plymouth Blacksmith Two-Light Fluorescent Wall Mounted Bath Fixture with Sand Bl
$120.00 | Bellacor
Green Malta Rod Pocket Panel & Valance
$14.99 | zulily
Lights Up | Walker Swing Arm Sconce
$184.00 | YLighting
Large Shaker Cherry Chest
Fifthroom.com
Mingling Slats Mirror
$395.00 | Horchow
Virtu KD-70090-C-ZG Vanity Set in Zebra grey with Ceramic Countertop
Blue Bath
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™