window grilles - inside the glass or out???

sugar_maple_30April 24, 2010

My current windows are wood with grilles exterior to the glass panes. I'm trying to decide if I should replace them with the same, I think they're called colonial lites, or get them with the grilles actually inside the glass. These are less expensive, but I don't want to look as if I've cheaped out, but I don't want to spend money I don't need to.

Not being a window expert, or actually having much interest in them (lol), is it worth the extra to have the grilles exterior?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
athensmomof3

I think the interior grilles look cheap - builders grade. I would have the grilles on the exterior. I always notice windows in houses though - and think a cheap looking window can ruin a nice looking house!

Bookmark   April 24, 2010 at 5:29PM
sugar_maple_30

Thanks. That's just what I wanted to know. Exterior grilles it is, then!

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 12:06AM
sandb

Don't do it! We have them, built 6 years ago, hubby insisted on inside wood grilles, they look great (alder and cherry inside, alum outside), but what a pain to clean! If you pay to have a window cleaner do it, they charge a full window for each panel! If I was to do it over, I would skip the panels altogether and just have plain glass. Plus, the separate panels ruin our view.

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 3:24PM
swesna

I think the between the glass grills look cheap too...they look like what vinyl replacement windows would have.

My wife said the same thing that sandb said regarding it being a pain to clean the windows. I figure if you have separate pains now and you have been cleaning them then there is going to be no difference in amount of time to clean.

I am going to go for the SDL (real look grills) on the front of my house and then no grills on the sides and back.

Steve

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 6:19PM
windowinsider

Interior Removable - least expensive - can be attractive
Between Glass - mid-range cost - least attractive
Simulated Divided Light - most expensive - most attractive

If you opt for Interior Removable, look for a system with a metal skeleton running through the wood, and ideally a steel catch, not plastic.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 11:13AM
dgmarie

I think between the glass is the easiest to clean and doesn't look cheap to me. There are many homes around here that have these and none of them would be considered cheap.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
Any thoughts on the new Beechworth windows by James Hardie
Hi, We are waiting for our building permit and are...
kzim_gw
Soft-lite Purchase of Gorell
I was looking to get 4 more windows (Gorell, as I love...
mav3481
windows in rain and water, slush
We are in this weird situation due to the snow, rain,...
r2d2indy
Sunrise or Thermal windows and doors
I'm trying to decide between Sunrise windows and Thermal...
craig4536
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™