First Light Block

cindilooJuly 3, 2008

Except for needing the actual lights inside and a frame around it...here is my first light block:

This pic really shows that shiny grout sealer! It's really not as garrish in person.

Tried to get as much sun behind it to get an idea of what it will look like

with real lights in it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sereneseen

That is really beautiful Cindiloo. I love your color choices and how the cardinal really stands out from the background. I will have to try a lightblock soon.

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 3:32PM
mermaidmosaics

CIndi, I love your cardinal ligthblock. MY MIL loves those , maybe I finally came up with a good bday present. Thanks!!

Great cutting, did you use your ring saw??? You did a great job and i love the flower too. So these are those light blocks people make showers and windows out of??? Great idea

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 7:15PM
cindiloo

Thanks serene and mermaid!
I cut these out by hand...and the grinder got a good workout! I got the idea by seeing the lovely lights that becky makes. Here is a link to her last ones. I really like how she uses up her scraps for the back. Do a search here and look for the ones that she made with the nice frames. She really does beautiful work!

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 8:37PM
scootsmom

This is beautiful! Your cutting is fantastic. I feel the need to go buy some glass blocks right now. Man, I sure hope Lowes is open tomorrow. Hubby and I are gonna have to make a run there. Of course he will just say that i need to finish the projects that I have already started, but that is another story.

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 11:08PM
lovemosaics

mmmmmmm. too pretty

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 5:25AM
texaswild

What a saucy little cardinal! Beautiful work - such a happy little piece. Did you put a hole underneath for the light cord? What kind of frame, and where w/you use this? Gonna have to look at those too.

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 7:45AM
stjohnsgypsy

Love this............!

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 7:57AM
texasfern

Beautiful! Cardinals are my very favorite!
You bet Lowes is open. My husband works for Home Depot and they are all open today!

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 10:51AM
cindiloo

Thank you all for all the nice comments! You're the greatest!
SLOW...I put the hole in the back near the bottom. Used a regular drill with a 1/2" glass bit. Takes forever cuz I have to recharge my wimpy girl drill battery before I get all the way through!
I'm not sure what the frame will be like....I'm hoping like the one Becky's friend makes for her. I gave the guy at work a picture. Have big lofty plans of making a lot of these and selling them at the xmas bazaar. We'll see....

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 1:37PM
More Discussions
Need grout colour suggestion.
I have been working on this project through the holidays...
tiffy_z5_6_can
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
new floral
small new piece, 6" x 6.5" I'm calling it...
nicethyme
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™