Solar shades? Film? Worried about glare

lnhardinApril 26, 2009

Need some good advice here. We are just finishing up a new construction in Oklahoma. Hubby's new office has windows facing 3 sides - West, South and North. The west wall is almost all window. We did invest in high quality low E windows and we have a good sized overhang. Walking through the room, it looks to me like for at least a few hours a day there will be very bright light coming in from the West, probably causing a LOT of glare on computer screens on the desk. The desk is right by the windows. The windows appear to be doing a great job of cutting the heat. I have been in there when outdoors was in the 90s and it was quite comfortable - air conditioning has not been hooked up yet. So the issue will be the glare.

From the start Hubby was very much against anything that cuts the view from those office windows, but even he is beginning to see that there will be a glare problem on his desk. What is our best solution? We have discussed shutters, blinds, solar shades, outside shade,film, etc. It seems shutters would cut the view even when open. Outside shades will keep the casement windows from being opened, blinds have other problems. What is our best option? Would love to hear others' experience. We are in Oklahoma, so summer light/heat can be a big deal.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimgill

i'm having the same problem if anyone wants to help

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 9:14PM
GulfBreezeWindows

Interior roller shades. If you use a Phifer Suncontrol at a %10 opening, you will be able to see out of the shade and it cuts down/out the glare.

We use it a lot in Gas stations.

And it will still allow you to open casement windows.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 10:57AM
Mom2BoysWisconsin

I would recommend solar shades. They would offer you a stylish way to maintain your view and guard against glare. Bali Blinds has a large selection of colors and textures with varying degrees of solar openness. Use their free mobile app to select swatches and use the My Decorator tool to see your selection in combination with your wall, floor, and furniture colors. Check it out on www.baliblinds.com

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 8:45PM
skydawggy

Why don't you quit digging up old posts and spamming this site? Businesses are required to pay for advertising here.

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 11:38PM
More Discussions
Full Replacement Questions, Resources?!? Woodwright vs. E-series?
We are in the midst of ordering full-frame replacements...
joeyjoey1
And then there were 3 - new build window package quotes in - thoughts?
So we have final bids on the 3 options we are down...
dfb_jlw
Dual pane window retrofit, for sound blocking, question on thickness.
Been looking at options on vinyl windows with better...
mystrwizard
pulley and weight window stuck open
I cannot get it closed even though I basically hang...
Cynna622
Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance
Wondering which is the better new construction vinyl...
16cassie
Sponsored Products
Grayson Polished Nickel Three-Light Sconce
$342.00 | Bellacor
Woodbridge Lighting Anson 3-light Marbled Bronze Flush Mount
Overstock.com
Wendell Wall Sconce
Lightology
Bronze Table Lamp: Designer Collection 31 in. Bronze Table Lamp with Beige Fabri
Home Depot
Antique Brass Base Bell Frosted Glass Shade Semi-Flush Mount
ParrotUncle
Edmond Fence Back Swivel Bar Stool - 1140E-29S
$189.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™