Junction box hidden

albertmJanuary 26, 2009

My basement has two circuits running in one conduit to a junction box in the open ceiling. At the Jbox they branch into two conduits running to different parts of my basement. The Jbox appears to simply be a means of branching from one conduit to two. The wires are continuous (not cut or spliced in the junction box).

The Jbox has a solid cover. So the circuits are a continous run from the circuit panel to the outlet boxes with not cuts or splices.

Is it acceptable to enclose this Jbox in a drywall ceiling, since the wires are continuous?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jmvd20

The box must remain accessible.

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 12:44PM
electricman

J boxes (junction boxes) are designed to have joints/splices in them. If EMT conduit was ran (metal pipe) the only reason that J box is there is because the electrician had more bends in his conduit than he wanted so he had to place a Jbox there due to codes. NEC code book only allows 360 degrees in a run of conduit from the panel to a junction box. He was maxed out on bends in the conduit so he placed the Jbox there to give him more pipe to work with and another 360 degrees to bend. Thats why the wires are just passing through and there is no joints in the box. If you are worried about a inspector have it inspected before you cover it. If its already passed inspection you are good to go! Tho If the wire ever needs to be replaced or a new circuit is wanted to be added. It will be close to impossible to get a fish tape through all those bends in the conduit. Though conduit is not a requirement for a residential home and romex can easily be used instead. In fact im not sure why that guy even ran conduit. I would ask a inspector or call your local electrician to double check that because the codes are different pending on where you live. I hope this helps.

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 4:52PM
Ron Natalie

The conduit may be required in his jurisdiction. People don't tend to go to that length when not necessary.

I doubt it's the bend limit, the OP says it's a Y connection. Some of the conductors go one way, some go another.

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 7:27PM
electricman

Yea your right I miss read that. "At the Jbox they branch into two conduits running to different parts of my basement" I was thinking 2 conduits hit a JBOX then turned out with no spices in them. That makes more sense. I still dont see a reason you could not drywall over them tho??

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 7:53PM
jmvd20

Junction boxes, pull boxes, whatever term we want to use for this particular situation is beside the point. Also it makes no difference if there are splices contained inside of the box or not.

The reason that you cannott drywall over the box is because it must remain accessible - period.

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 10:07PM
BStras21_gmail_com

Nice reason, hope you didn't hurt your brain on that!

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 6:52PM
brickeyee

A box can be used to satisfy the 350 Ldegree bend rule without actually making a splice.

You pull the wires to the box, then continue them on unbroken.

It does NOT mean they were a continuous pule.

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 11:26PM
brickeyee

360 degree (four 90s)

Bookmark   February 6, 2011 at 8:05AM
DavidR

The code says that junction boxes have to be accessable. I don't have the reference here, but I don't recall any exceptions for junction boxes that don't contain splices. I suppose you could propose such an exception for the next code cycle.

Bookmark   February 6, 2011 at 3:22PM
fixizin

Can a T-body be used in that situation, and if so, could it then be concealed?

Bookmark   February 6, 2011 at 10:22PM
fixizin

... you never know... until you pore over 3,247 pages of the NEC... 2011 Edition, lol.

Bookmark   February 6, 2011 at 10:26PM
More Discussions
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
bicyclegirl1
Code changes
In outlining the electrical layout for our new home,...
mtvhike
Want to save shower recessed light
I have 2 matching recessed lights in my bathroom. One...
africanboy
Can you make a splice inside one of these?
The reason I ask is my neighbor's house was destroyed...
schreibdave
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
ohio45424
Sponsored Products
Westinghouse Wall Mounted 1-Light Polished Brass Steel Exterior Jelly Jar Wall
$8.84 | Home Depot
Element Long Planter by Planterworx
$405.00 | Lumens
WAC Modern Forms | Vela OLED Chandelier
YLighting
Custom Fitzsimmons Upholstered Bed
Home Decorators Collection
Angle Display Sign 2.8 Square Canopy 3500K 85CRI
Lightology