changeing fuse box to circuit breaker box

squirlnutsJanuary 15, 2010

I have 200amp service coming in my home that has breakers. I also have a fuse box that supplies electical to part of the house their is a 100amp breaker in the main service box that runs to the fuse box.the main fuses in the fuse box are 100amp fuses thir are two of these.can I change the fuse box with a circuit breaker box If I can do this what size box should I buy 110amp box or 200amp. thanks for any help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

It doesn't matter. You don't need a breaker in the subpanel (the one replacing the fusebox) at all. Anything 100A or more is legal, but the extra doesn't get you a nything.

    Bookmark   January 15, 2010 at 4:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If they didn't do it at the upgrade to 200 amps. You will for sure now need to make sure the sub panel is fed with a 4-wire feed (2 hots, neutral, and a ground wire). The neutrals and grounds in the fuse box/ your new sub panel, have to be on separate terminal bars in this case.

    Bookmark   January 15, 2010 at 7:05PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™