source for replacement glass door insert

shadygroveApril 4, 2011

Good morning. My front door was, I'm thinking, purchased from Lowe's about fifteen years ago and its of the type that one sees everywhere in modest homes such as mine--wood door with an inset oval of frosted glass, frequently worked to suggest leading. I would like to replace this oval with a completely plain piece of heavy frosted glass, but my local glass repair shop feels that they can't cut the shape and there is no replacement available from Lowe's. There is no mark on the door to suggest its manufacturer.

Does anyone know of a source online for this type of thing? I have looked but come up empty-handed.

Any help at making my front door look less like an invitation to Miss Kitty's Saloon and more like a plain heavy wooden front door is appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Open the there any writing on the hinges?

    Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 4:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Aha, Jocobe...aren't you clever! Yes, it says Hager on the brass hinges. I will see if that means anything to the World Wide Web. Thanks very much.

    Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 7:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hager is the hardware company that made the hinges nothing at all to do with the manufacturer of the door.

    Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 7:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Look for a sticker on the jamb, etching on the glass, sticker on the head jamb/rail, etc.

    Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 9:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yes, I determined that about Hager--thanks. I can't find another durn thing written on this door, hence my question as to any sources that make replacement panels in general, but I thank everyone for their suggestions.

    Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 10:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Can you remove the glass without breaking it?

Take it out and find a better equipped glass shop.

    Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 8:56AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If there is a metal spacer bar, between the glass, sometimes the manufacturer's name will be there in small print or possibly a label.

    Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 5:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I shall probably attempt the gentle but purposeful tapping with a rubber mallet that you suggest, Brickeyee, after calling around to other shops.....I wonder whether a manufacturer's name could be on the underside of the door....I'll keep looking.

I can't be the only person who has wanted to change out their glass insert rather than sacrificing the whole door, which in my case is a perfectly okay piece of heavy wood and not otherwise landfill-ready. Seems like a business that ought to exist somewhere.


    Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 10:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I doubt you will find the manufacturer anywhere on the door. But any quality glass shop should be able to make you a template and order glass, the mouldings or stop should be reusable if they are removed carefully

    Bookmark   April 8, 2011 at 8:44AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
Which LoE coating ?
New construction. House located in Knoxville, Tennessee Front...
Opinions on Sunrise vinyl sliders?
I bit the bullet and went with Okna windows! Not biting...
Looking for recomendations re: replacing sliding patio doors in MN
As the title says, I'm researching replacement our...
Simonton 5500 v. Soft-Lite Pro (replacement and new )
Hi, We are remodeling our house in Washington DC. We...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™