Window Replacement - Full Tear-Out or Insert?

ZeldaRApril 29, 2013

We live in a mid-60s build, brick front home. We are replacing our windows with either Marvin Ultimate Double-Hung windows or Andersen Woodwright windows - half of the windows are surrounded by brick, and the other half surrounded by siding.

We've read on the forum about tear-outs versus inserts, but we are still confused.

My original thought is "don't fix what ain't broke," and our frames/trim are in great shape - so go with inserts. But, I see a lot of folks prefer full tear-outs to avoid loss of glass. I am nervous about a full tear-out and water/air leakage, but maybe my concern is unfounded.

Any more ideas about full tear-out versus replacement - given the two types of windows under consideration?

Thanks!!

This post was edited by ZeldaR on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 9:48

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HomeSealed

A full frame tear-out can be rather tricky to install a new, finned window and get proper flashing detail when in a brick opening. Often times those are installed with no fin anyway. That being the case, the biggest factor IMO will be your tolerance for the amount of glass lost, and your plans for the interior woodwork. If you are retaining it and don't care too much about the small amount of glass loss, go for the inserts. If you are replacing all of the trim anyway, the you may as well do tear-outs.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 11:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

Do your existing windows have storm windows?

If so, you will be pleasantly surprised that the windows will appear much cleaner and feel larger.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
Time to replace the windows?
There has been almost constant ice build up around...
tonyzzztony
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
shadey
Fiberglass Windows from Hardie????
We need to replace 3 windows in our family room. ...
dancingqueengw
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™