Rheostat for a 11000 watt kitchen blender

pristinJanuary 31, 2012

I am trying to adapt a KITCHEN BLENDER (like a Waring Blender) for use in a small laboratory where we develop TOPICAL creams. The low speed on the blender is TOO HIGH for making the cream and it destroys the cream matrix. I was wondering if I can hook up a RHEOSTAT to do this. Please help answering and also the kind of Rheostat I should use. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

The few blenders I have inspected closely have a "universal" motor which does work properly with a rheostat. The power to that motor is through the controls on the blender. But the controls on the blender may not work properly with the output from any external control device.
Your post cannot be correct on the wattage.
A rheostat is a variable resistor and simply wastes the unused electricity as heat- a crude way to do it. Using a variable transformer directly to the motor, bypassing the original controls, is a much better way. Running the motor at slower speeds risks overheating no matter how the speed control is accomplished.

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 12:25PM
Ron Natalie

If it has a universal motor any of the drill/router speed control

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9410-20-Amp-Router-Control/dp/B001NIK6PC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_2

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 2:20PM
brickeyee

If the blender already has a speed control it is not going to work well with another control feeding it.

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 2:30PM
Ron Natalie

Just set the blender at MAX speed and it should be ok.

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 3:15PM
ionized_gw

There is proper laboratory equipment that will do what you need. Check for paddle mixers and homogenizers of various types. You can probably find a used one for a good price if you shop around. You may well get lucky on ebay. I get some lab equipment there.

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 8:00PM
More Discussions
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™