Best Mosaic Resource Books for a Mosaic Beginner

hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CAJuly 13, 2014

I am going to tackle a small to medium sized mosaic project - making a cover for our fire pit (1/2 circle), and I'd like to invest in some good basic mosaic resources "how to" books. I'm hoping you all experienced mosaic artists might be able to recommend several good resources books that a beginner would like to have on the shelf, to get started? Thanks so much, and very excited about my first project.

Patty S.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvamae

I like "Classic Mosaic" by Elaine M. Goodwin.

Below is a link to an article I wrote about mosaics, and near the end of the article is a link to her book.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's article about how to mosaic

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 9:44PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Thanks so much, silvamae. I will check out both your article and the book! We do have a mosaic artist that teaches classes periodically in my area, so I am on the list to sign up for the next class, which I'm hoping will be next month.

Patty S.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 9:58PM
loribee2

I have a bunch of them (though not the one Silvamae mentioned--I'll have to check that out myself). Of the ones I have, I think the best is Readers' Digest Guide to Mosaics. It's very informative and easy to follow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Readers Digest Guide to Mosaics

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:59PM

Thanks, Lori, I will look at your suggestion as well. Appreciate it!

Patty S.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 8:52AM
segrieb

My MOSAIC BIBLE:

300+ Mosaic Tips, Techniques, Templates and Trade Secrets

by Bonnie Fitzgerald

I checked out this book at my local library, and immediately knew that this was a fantastic (everything you ever wanted to know about... ) book on Mosaics, so I ordered a copy from the Internet. Before I even start a mosaic project now, I review the information about surfaces, adhesives, indoor vs. outdoor, grouts... .

Several years ago, I visited my son in Northern Virginia. And, knowing that Bonnie Fitzgerald was from this area, I contacted her via email before my trip. She was teaching a Children's Mosaic Class, and invited me to stop by. What a wonderful experience; she is a very personable & talented mosaic artist. It was cool seeing the talent and excitement of the children, too, and talking with them about their mosaic projects! And, Bonnie signed my book!

Check out the book 1st from your library, and see if you don't agree.

(This is not an advertisement - I'm just a very satisfied customer!!!)
Susan Griebel
Rome City, IN

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 1:34PM

Thanks so much, Susan, that is exactly what I'm looking for, a "bible" for mosaics. Appreciate your post, and I'll definitely check out the book!

Patty S.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
mosaicing within old picture frame
Someone somewhere posted details on how to do this...
povertylodge
acrylic sheet
Hello all I have dabbled in other media like oil and...
bicem
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
How to break crash glass?
I have some solid pieces of crash glass that I'd like...
phish_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™