Defective lamp rewire kit?

andee_gwJanuary 30, 2012

I'm in the process of rewiring a lamp (which I have done before in the distant past). I'm now ready to attach the cord wire to the socket. It looks like there might be a screw missing? There is nothing else in the packaging. From the instructions, it looks like the brass and silver screws should be opposite. The only non-brass screw is 90 deg. from the brass. The pictures below are three 90 deg. rotations from the position of the brass screw.

I don't want to attach wires to the only two screws there and have the lamp go haywire when I plug it in! Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

The brass screw should be connected to what feeds the center button in the socket. The silver screw should connect to the exposed metal.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 2:51PM
andee_gw

Thanks, I think that is what I observe on the socket. I was confused because the instructions show the screws 180 deg. from each other, and IRL they are 90 deg. And at the 180 deg. position it looks like a little dimple where a screw could possibly be inserted.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 5:36PM
Ron Natalie

I suspect that the "phantom" screw location may be because some or all of the components here are used in the manufacturer of a "3-way" socket.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
CharlesInVT
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™