How does this work?

pkspigsApril 21, 2010

We want to replace the windows in our home. Typical ranch style, metal windows, double pane with inside grills,30 years old. very hard to open and close and some have lost the seal between the double glass. We have a brick vaneer exterior and sheetrock interiors with real wood stained casing and sills. If we decide to replace the windows would the exterior and interior be damange during replacement of the windows or can we find sizes to exactly fit the current window opening. We live in so.La.and if anyone can recommend a good quality window beside vinyl, I would certainnly appreciate it. Pk

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theporchguy

Your original window type was installed with nailing fins that were nailed into the house sheating. Then the veneer was put on. A seasoned window installer would know how to remove them, although some damage to the veneer will occur.

As far as reccomending a replacement window for your home other than vinyl brings you back to aluminum. I assume in LA. the yearlong temperatures are moderate and thus an aluminum replacement window might be your choice.
You see, in order to get your new windows to fit into your existing openings (which is the best thing to do) you have to use a replacement type window. And since you don't want vinyl, then aluminum is your natural choice.

All the best,

The Porch Guy

Here is a link that might be useful: my album

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
Simonton 5500 v. Soft-Lite Pro (replacement and new )
Hi, We are remodeling our house in Washington DC. We...
amy2905
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
LittleHouseotPrairie
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
shadey
Need reassurance! Pella windows not a bad decision?
My house currently has 4 kinds of windows - contractor's...
Laurel Wittman
Deciding between Grand Estates/Amcraft or Okna 500dx, advice?
Both are new construction. The Grand Estates is just...
happyallison
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™