Klinger inspired Seashell light shade

mermaidmosaicsJuly 22, 2008

Ok, since I hijacked Cindy's thread, I am starting a new one. but Klinger can hijack mine if she wants to. Here she is. I sill want to add a pix of it later in evening. I used tacky glue with sand in between the shells after my disaster with liquid leading. Then I added more gold and crystal beads in between some of the shells I could not get the sand to stayput. MIght be hard to see. I also added some different shells because several of them were too sticky with the leading. what a mess.

Thanks SLow for telling me about the putty, but I still would love to try the Buceras way.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katkerri

beautiful, mermaid !!!

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 3:31PM
shrty411

Very cool!!

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 10:25PM
Calamity_J

It turned out so gorgeous, Waaaayyyy better than my 1/2 hearted attempt!

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 12:42AM
texaswild

Oh, so beautiful. Congratulations.

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 8:11AM
mermaidmosaics

Calamity, I thought your's was cool too, specially since you said you kinda threw it together. Wish my kinda's turned out half that good.. I liked the soupy grout idea.

Thanks all you mosaic goddesses, I'm glad you like it, I'm happy with it too, specially after I screwed it so royally with the leading mess. DH mentioned maybe we should do all of our light fixtures in the house, so I guess that means he likes it. LOL

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 9:34AM
adina72

Oh wow....I love that! Beautiful job!

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 9:45AM
mermaidmosaics

I promised a pix of my seashell lamp at night all lit up. Here is goes.

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 1:40PM
cindiloo

Ooooo, Ahhhhhh....that is sooo pretty!! Sounds like you got a lot of learning experience out of it, too, LOL! Good for you for sticking with it and getting it just right. I'm afraid I have a tendency to throw in the towel if something gets too hard and I get too frustrated!
A perfect chandelier for a mermaids castle!

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 2:00AM
lovemosaics

That is the coolest thing I've ever seen!!!
I'm wanting to buy shells and a fixture..I can do this
with no cutting and grinding! ..So pretty!!! Wow!! what else can I say?? just rocking!! Love it!!

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 5:57AM
texaswild

What CINDI said - perfect for the MER's castle. Really is pretty, MER. Congrats. Whatcha workin' now?

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 9:26AM
mermaidmosaics

Geesh! Mermaid castle!! LOL I love that name, been trying to come up with a name for my mosaic room, maybe I will just name it Mermaid Castle. Funny. I already renamed our pool area Mermaid Cove and plan to make up a couple signs.

Slow, I'm actually making over a clay pot to a yellow brick road for Sir Wiggle to sit on. Thought it was fitting for the Alice in Wonderland rabbit!! Oh my.. I just mixed up my fairy tales and only just figured it out as I am typing. ROFL

Well, it's my story, and I'm allowed to make it whatever I want.. Half way done, need to post a pix. and making up lots of clay word tiles for various upcoming projects.

Yes, I have been bitten by the mosaic everything that doesn't move bug!!!!

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 11:32AM
texaswild

You can make a sign to hang as your front door WELCOME, or over the door or on the wall of your work space, and call it????? WELCOME TO MER's .......

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 1:09PM
charocfl

Hi, I am interested in doing something along these lines & would like to know the basic process you used to make your shell lamp progect.

I am expecially interested in how you attached the shells to the frame with out impacting the look. Also what this you use for the frame work?

CharO

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 8:44PM
mermaidmosaics

oh my gosh CharO, it's been awhile since I finished , so hope I remember correctly. I believe I used alenes tacky glue to attach the shells, arranging them as I went around. I originally put liquid leading all around the shells trying for the stained glass look a few of us were trying, but that was a disaster, so I had to scrape that off and take off most of the shells. PITA. I started over just using glue, shells, adding pearls and throwing sand in between.

it was fairly simple, the lamp was a cheapo from Lowes i think cost less than $20 and very plain glass shade, and it worked perfect for this.

I did discover lately when I glue shells to my hurricane lamps that mastic works wonderfully on shells that are hollow so you can then glue them to a base. You can buy mastic at almost any home improvement store in the tile area. You might want to try that..

Looking forward to see what you do.

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 10:14PM
katishooked

Oh so pretty. You did good

Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 8:53AM
bettycbowen

I wish I had a place wired for a sconce! I'd give this a try. It is beautiful.

Bookmark   February 7, 2009 at 11:52AM
texaswild

Trying to catch up on reading, and glad to see this thread again. BETTYC: I bought a large punched tin sconce in PV, and I'm going to have it wired so the cord hangs down to a plug - that is if I can find a spot in this crowded house to hang it. If the cord bothers you, you could always cover it w/those covers, paint it the same as your wall, or in my case, I might even make it appear as a hanging cord, and cover it w/some kind of funky decorations. I suppose there are all kinds of things we could use to make the cord blend in.

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
Need grout colour suggestion.
I have been working on this project through the holidays...
tiffy_z5_6_can
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
Hello!
Hi everyone! I haven't been here in a really long time....
eggshelllady
Thrift Store Remake....
I thought it needed a little something extra.
brokenbitmosaics
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™