St Louis Area Windows Replacement Quote

madmatrixApril 3, 2010

Hi all,

We are getting some quotes from different companies in our area. Most of companies' windows come with vinyl frame. One company has compozit windows from THV. But the price for compozit is double price the second highest one for vinyl frame. We have 2 double hung and 9 slider (two are smaller. the other 7 are a larger). For compozit, the price is $15,000 total. The second high for vinyl is $6,664.

My question is: is there any big difference between compozit and vinyl. I know compozit is more solid than vinyl. But in St Louis, MO, does it matter? We have 7 windows towards west direction which could have more heat on the vinyl frames. If the vinyl windows can last around 15 years, we could just go with vinyl for half price.

Appreciated for your comments here.

Lou

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

As long as you purchase a high quality vinyl window from a reputable manufacturer and get a top knotch installation, you should have no issues. Avoid the cheap vinyl windows as you will get what you pay for.

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 9:42AM
madmatrix

Thanks skydawggy. Do you have any company in st louis area to be recommended. Thanks!

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 11:45AM
skydawggy

Sorry, I'm on the East Coast. I'd get a couple of estimates and then post back here with questions. There are several Pro's who post on here that would be happy to help you.

Find out what the Brand and models are of the different windows. Also ask to see the written warranty and pay attention to what it excludes as well as what it includes. Ask what the OVERALL U-factors are and what the Solar Heat Gain is and if they were tested by NFRC. I'd also ask about the air infiltration and water penetration and Design Pressure ratings are and if they were tested by AAMA.

Good luck. Let us know how it's going.

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 12:09PM
rkb21

Just curious what you ended up getting. We are also in the same area looking for windows. Thanks!

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Brand recommendation?
I would very much appreciate some recommendations on...
oakenacres
new construction vs "replacement" windows
I am somewhat confused from reading various company...
mmdoh
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Quick advice re: matching door and window grills & transom size
I have french doors sitting between two sets of side...
happyallison
Need Help with new window brands
We are early in the new home construction process (finalizing...
mmdoh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™