Vinyl Window Repair

drechoApril 13, 2011

Friends,

I am a complete newb so I apologize in advance.

I have ~14 year old vinyl windows by Viking throughout my house. I don't know the proper terminology, but there is what looks like a thin foam strip between the inner pane and sash. This foam has turned brown and appears to be rotting and is falling out in places. Is there an easy way to fix this? I was considering putting a bead of silicon if all else fails.

Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington

This is the spacer in the IGU (insulated glass unit) that has degraded and beginning to fail.

The short answer is...no. Once the spacer fails, the window requires new IGUs or refurbished IGUs to be proper.

Does Viking have a warranty on the units? This is normally a warranty item on most of the vinyl windows that are installed today. At 14 years, you might be out of luck but it is certainly worth an inquiry.

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 5:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drecho

Thanks very much for the response. Unfortunately I think Viking no longer exists so I'm probably out of luck.

Just to clarify, I am not talking about the "spacer" between the two panes, but I guess it would be considered the "warm edge spacer" as pictured here: http://www.seriousmaterials.com/doe/valimage1.gif

This seems like a bad design. I can almost guarantee that these rotted out because windex, etc. runs right onto this spacer during cleaning. It seems like they should be sealed better if this piece is so vulnerable.

Well looks like it's time to start saving for new windows. :-(

Thanks again!

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 12:18AM
More Discussions
Marvin: Can't find Air Infiltration Specs
I am choosing between Marvin clad and Woodwright double...
texas_al
Softlite Elements windows quote reasonable?
We're in MA. We've been quoted $13,300 for installing...
ppurus
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
Window Decision Time
Hi all, First, let me thank all of you for the information...
Chris
please help with choice of replacement window
hello everyone....I need some help deciding on which...
balboa64
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™