Need advice on stained glass feasibility

zagyzebraJuly 21, 2013

Here's a shout-out to all the stained glass experts on this board. I've got a house that is being brought down to its studs (fire damage). The living room has a south-facing wall with cathedral ceilings. I have always wanted to put stained glass on this wall between the door and the ceiling. But thinking about this and looking at the wall, you can see from the picture below that the door is off center from the center ceiling beam. I am concerned that putting stained glass on this wall will only accentuate the off-centeredness (hey, the house was built in 1931). Do you agree? Maybe I should leave well enough alone?

If you could envision putting stained on this wall, what would it be? What shape? What dimensions? Where to place it on the wall? It's a tricky gothic design challenge with peculiarities.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wackyweeder

I am no design person, but I wanted to say HOLY COW what an awesome place. Love the door and those windows.
And this is just me, and like I said, I know NOTHING, but what popped into my head was a big circle centered on the wall.

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 6:45PM
silvamae

What a fantastic opportunity! Such a great space. If whatever you chose is hung between the center line dropping down from the apex of the roof and the center line up from the top of the window, I believe that would trick the eye and balance everything out. I really don't think it should be a concern; it's going to look great. I love that house!!

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 10:13PM
zagyzebra

Thank you for the compliments on my house. Yes I do love it so much, too, but unfortunately is was burned in a candle fire by a tenant. We're rebuilding and hope to make it more beautiful than ever.

To that end, how would you recommend I go about finding a reliable and excellent stained glass artist in the Los Angeles area to make a few custom stained glass windows? It will be hard to find anything in the exact dimensions that I'll want, so I'm sure I'll have to have the windows custom made.

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 2:43AM
silvamae

I have noticed that here in Austin, the people who own/work at stained glass stores that sell supplies also are available to do custom work.

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 8:20AM
More Discussions
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
Cutting Beach Pebbles
I have a good supply of various colored beach pebbles...
african
How to break crash glass?
I have some solid pieces of crash glass that I'd like...
phish_gw
Thrift Store Remake....
I thought it needed a little something extra.
brokenbitmosaics
Sponsored Products
San Fernando Hazelnut Bronze Two-Light Outdoor Wall Light
$390.00 | Bellacor
Holly 5 Piece King Bedroom Set in Espresso Dark Brown
$956.00 | LexMod
Modern Flat TV Display Stand 342
Italy Design
Mia Satin Nickel Three-Light Bath Fixture with Gold Foil Glass
$391.50 | Bellacor
Morriston 4-Light 12" Wide Bronze Entry Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Pastel Green 30" High Oval Twist Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Justice Design Group GLA-8531 - Deco 1 Light Wall Sconce - Cylinder with Rippled
$290.00 | Hayneedle
Calhoun Single Arm Chaise - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™