Size subpanel & wire size?

akawildturkeyJanuary 29, 2012

Im having a 10'x12' shed build, the concrete pad and 2high block is already in place. I plan on doing the electrical myself onceit gets framed. The shed sits about 25 feed from my houses electrical panel. This shed will have a 7x8 garage door, a couple gfi outlets, an ouside outlet, and a couple keyless lights, thats about it. (for my Harley) I am wondering what the minimum size subpanel I am required to install? I planned on hand digging a 20' trench from shed to location near house. Running some 1" pvc to feed shed. I planned on 2 ground rods, I know not to bond the neutral. I just dont know what minimum size and if there are a minimum amount of spaces required. 30 or 40 amp? There will never be any real load out there other than lights, maybe a radio plugged in, cordless battery charger etc. Nothing much. Any suggestions or advice? 50amp? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
electricalkid

You are not required to use a subpanel and there is no minimum amount of circuits. You could legally run 14/2 or 12/2 UF buried 24'' on a 15 or 20A GFCI breaker.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 12:58PM
brickeyee

"You are not required to use a subpanel and there is no minimum amount of circuits. "

If you do not have a panel you are limited to a single circuit 9though it could be a multi-wire circuit.

If you have a sub-panel you can have as many (or as few) circuits as you want (though if you only have one or even two it is a bit of a waste since a single multi-wire is allowed an could provide two 120 V circuits).

The panel size should be based on what loads you plan on running.

If the loads are as light as you say a single 20 amp multi-wire circuit is probably still more than you meed, and then no panel is required.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 3:32PM
mike_kaiser_gw

As Brickeyee mentioned, for what you describe a multi-wire branch circuit would be just the ticket. I'd run 12/3 (plus a ground) UF cable. That would give you two 20 amp circuits, which should be plenty of power and would be less expensive than a sub-panel.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 9:12PM
More Discussions
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
Lights Flickering...
We paid an electrician to put in a ceiling light in...
regina_phalange
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™