Question: how to make a form ....

stoneybaloneyJuly 13, 2008

I'm still very much a newbie, popped in the end of last year to begin learning, and then got side-tracked by work and life.

Now I'm back, and working on creating the mosaics for inverted memorial markers for our furbabies who have left for the Rainbow Bridge.

Sometime in the past eight or nine months, I think I remember reading a post which gave instructions for making the form out of wood. DH will be doing that part and he wants instructions. My selective memory has come up with this, but he says it's not good enough ... take four pieces of wood and make a frame that's 16 x 10. He wants more information.

Can someone help me? I've read through some of the back posts looking for instructions, but got side-tracked looking at the pictures of all the beautiful work and figured I'd better just ask the question or I'll never get my bum down to the basement to work on glueing the stones to my design paper.

Thanking you in advance ....

StoneyB

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

Well, the frame needs a bottom, so cut your bottom and put the pieces of wood around it - this is to hold and shape your concrete markers. I've seen people use pizza boxes for forms - or shoe boxes, or cake pans, or whatever shape you want your stone to be. Be creative. Be sure and pour the form half full, then put in a layer of some kind of re-enforcement - such as wire mesh - or gutter guard metal or chicken wire - something to keep your marker from breaking. Then pour the form full, smooth it, cover w/plastic wrap until it drys. Some w/tell you to spritz it daily w/water for three/four days until completely set up, then mosaic away. This is the way I made a patio mirror, and it's held up well. Only thing was, I put a mirror in mine, and it broke, so I mosaiced over the break w/more mirror pieces in the form of a flower. Anxious to see this work - huuuuuuuuuurry.

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 6:51PM
stoneybaloney

Thank you, slowmedown. I totally did not remember anything about re-enforcement so it's a good thing I asked rather than just winging it. We have a lot of extra screen material, I'll use that in the middle. I got about halfway done glueing the first marker, hoping to finish tomorrow or Tuesday. We'll see how long it takes hubby to do the frame for me.

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 10:31PM
texasfern

So glad you asked StoneyB, this is good info to have!

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 9:48AM
More Discussions
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
mosaicing within old picture frame
Someone somewhere posted details on how to do this...
povertylodge
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
Gold Kinky Boots
Now I'm blinging out the master bath. My poor hubby...
brokenbitmosaics
Sponsored Products
Pindos Area Rug II
Home Decorators Collection
Luceplan | Orchestra D27/30v Ceiling/Wall Light
$351.00 | YLighting
Eastern Jungle Gym Climbing Rock Wall Hand Holds - Set of 4 - CRH
$28.55 | Hayneedle
Rachael Ray Bakeware Oven Lovin' Crispy Sheet 11-inch by 17-inch Cookie Pan
Overstock.com
Custom Hadley Upholstered Headboard
Home Decorators Collection