Andersen Patio Doors - T-111 flashing

surferMarch 17, 2012

Any suggestions on how best to flash or seal replacement Andersen PermaShield patio doors using T-111?

These patio doors will be replacing existing 35 yo Andersen patio doors. The siding in the area is T-111 5/8, which is over 1/2" plywood sheathing and 5/8 foil Celotex. The replacements are fractionally smaller than the existing doors. I have a low ranch house with a 3 foot roof overhang that provides good protection.

The existing doors will have the nailer flange cut off on top and sides. At present there is no additional "flashing" on sides and top except for brick mold trim that overlaps the door and siding. The contractor would use 1x4 pine brick molding and overlap it and caulk it on the siding and door frame on the new doors. The 1" gap between the door jambs and siding / framing opening could be filled and caulked with backer rod. Any suggestions on supplementing the caulked trim with flashing? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WindowDog

Have them make a drip cap that goes up behind the sheathing and extends over the door.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 1:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

+1

That is the way to go.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 11:17AM
More Discussions
Is this too much to pay?
My mom has two sets of French doors she needs to have...
joaniben
Replacement and New Coastal Impact Windows
We are doing major renovation on a waterfront home...
roenie
Looking for recomendations re: replacing sliding patio doors in MN
As the title says, I'm researching replacement our...
billpw
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
juddgirl2
new construction vs "replacement" windows
I am somewhat confused from reading various company...
mmdoh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™