New construction: Okna or Sunrise or Soft Lite

peter_olmstedMarch 29, 2013

Trying to decide which vinyl double hung and casements to choose for our new home we will start construction on in a few months. I priced out the same window for each just to get an idea where thing compare. I need to make up my mind and put it in the bid specs. Which would you choose and why, Thanks
Price is on a white 36"x30" Double hung, Low E, Integrated nailing fin, J channel, full screen. Standard GBG. Prices are approximate.

-Soft Lite LS Inperial=$400
-Sunrise (base model, not Restoration=$350
-Okna 5500= $250

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmarse1

I don't now how anyone could sell the Okna and actually lose money doing it. That price is impossible.
The soft lite Imperial sounds pretty close and a good price.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 10:27PM
HomeSealed

I assume that this is window only, no install? The okna is flat out better than the standard Sunrise, and very comparable to the imperial LS ( although I'd still choose the okna all things equal ). You'll get a better u value, equal or better air infiltration, and more glass area. The fact that it is cheapest is a major bonus... Although I agree with mmarsel's, even for a cash and carry window that price is crazy low.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 8:21AM
mmarse1

That's what mean, just the Okna window itself( without install) cost much more than that.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 8:38AM
PRO
peter_olmsted

That was a no installation price. Assuming the Okna was higher and the same as the Sunrise would the Okna still be your choice or at that point go Soft-Lite?

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 11:56AM
mmarse1

Yes, the Okna is definitely a better offering over the standard sunrise.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 12:09PM
HomeSealed

Let me just say this, you are looking at three great options. You really won't go wrong with any of the three. That said, my assessment above is independent of pricing. The softlite and okna are both a step up form the sunrise in double hung form, and my own personal preference is the okna.
One thing I didn't mention earlier is that it can vary somewhat once you get to casements. The sunrise casement is probably the nicest, followed closely by the okna and then the softlite. The softlite has the least amount of glass, which is probably the only real knock against any of them.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 3:32PM
windowsonwashington

+1

You have 3 great options there.

That price on the Okna is crazy low. That is below cost unless they are moving a ton of units.

How are you getting that price? Do you know that vendor personally?

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 7:24PM
mmarse1

The Okna is a heck of alot more than 250 per window..it is way under cost...I'm completely baffled by this price.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
Replacement and New Coastal Impact Windows
We are doing major renovation on a waterfront home...
roenie
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™