1800 watt device

graywings123January 14, 2010

I'm thinking of buying a portable induction cooktop for my home. One model uses 1800 watts. Is it going to blow fuses in my house? I'm thinking of using it in rooms other than the kitchen.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

1800 watts on a 120v = 15 amps. If anything else is on, that would trip a 15amp breaker. That is the most common size for bedrooms, dining rooms etc.

Bookmark   January 14, 2010 at 8:56AM
texasredhead

I would only use the device on 20 amp circuits in GFCI protected recepticles.

Bookmark   January 14, 2010 at 9:36AM
hrajotte

This cooktop is a 120 volt model? Plug-in 120V heating appliances >1500 watts are unusual, but not unheard of. Some hair dryers and toasters are 1800+ watts, but these are typically used for just a few minutes at a time. I would not use this cooktop for long periods on a 15A circuit, even if there is nothing else on the circuit. Of course, if there are multiple heating elements, and you're not using them all, you should be OK on a 15A circuit even of it's used for an extended period.
Check the manual to see if a 20A circuit is required. If so, I'd expect the cooktop to have a 20A plug on the cord. I guess this would depend on whether the unit is designed for "continuous use."

Bookmark   January 14, 2010 at 9:43AM
joed

1800watts is a rating. The device probably will never actually draw that much. If it comes with a 15 amp cord and plug then it is designed to be used on a regular cirucit. I would not be using anything alse on the circuit at the time.

Bookmark   January 14, 2010 at 11:38AM
graywings123

Thanks for the info!

Bookmark   January 14, 2010 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™