sliding patio doors- switch from aluminum to vinyl?

jkpitaMarch 18, 2012

Hi,

We have 20 yr+ sliding doors to replace in our FR. They are aluminum clad in a bronze color ( Semco). Since the rest of our windows are also in this bronze aluminum cladding, how different would a vinyl-clad door look from the rest of the windows? The bronze color has faded a bit and the replacement doors are west-facing-no trees or sun protection. I've made list of door mfrs to check out, but most seem to be vinyl-clad ( sunrise, okna, gorell)

Will vinyl-clad hold its color over time? Are there any quality door mfrs. who clad in aluminum?

I will not use Semco again or Pella, FYI.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmarse1

most high quality vinyl brands will actully out shine a wood patio door. however, it needs to be a high quality vinyl, if its not, it will warp and leak air like its going out of style. okna make a great patio door as does sunrise and soft lite.
stay away from any vinyl products from home depot or lowes.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 7:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Yes a good quality vinyl clad will hold its color, but the brands you listed are not vinyl clad they are all vinyl (which also will hold it's color perfectly fine). Marvin, or Kolbe in an aluminum clad door would be my recommendations if that is the way you decide to go.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 8:04AM
More Discussions
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
Marvin: Can't find Air Infiltration Specs
I am choosing between Marvin clad and Woodwright double...
texas_al
Replace or Repair?
We are about to purchase a home outside Columbus, OH...
jackrh97
windows in rain and water, slush
We are in this weird situation due to the snow, rain,...
r2d2indy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™