where do you get your inspiration & ideas?

trancegemini_waJuly 23, 2008

hi all, I came across an old picture like a print of a painting in a frame and I want to mosaic over the print and hang it on my living room wall. are there any problems you can see with this?

the biggest hurdle is I have no idea what to mosaic on it! so I thought Id find out how you all come up with your inspiration and ideas, how do you know what design you plan to do and how do you choose your colours?

I dont think Im a naturally artistic person, so knowing what will look good on a project is so confusing to me right now! any tips you can share with a beginner who's artistically challenged? :))

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cindiloo

Look at other's mosaics for inspiration. I spend hours and hours and have saved soooo many pics on my computer.
I have copied a picture and resized it (I use Paint Shop Pro) and then just put a piece of glass or plexiglass
over it. You can pick up an ugly picture at a thrift store just for the glass and frame. That is what I'm doing with

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 2:11PM
theeggshelllady

Hi, I too look at a lot of mosaics. I also doodle alot. I have a little note book where I do little drawings, I even have doodles on my grocery lists (more doodles than list!) I save all of those. You'll be surprised how many ideas start developing. Good luck and I'll bet you are far more artistic than you think.

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 9:00AM
texasfern

Well, I can't draw or doodle to save my life, so my inspiration come from others as well.
I'm not much of a "planner", but I do get sort of a picture in my head and then I just kinda dive in.
Sometimes the magic works!

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 9:06AM
trancegemini_wa

thanks for the replies ladies! ok so Im going to have to start saving some pictures from now on. If I know what Im doing I think I'll be fine but coming up with a design is so hard!

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
bicem
Hi, bicem, you posted a mosaic question on the "conversation"...
silvamae
mosaicing within old picture frame
Someone somewhere posted details on how to do this...
povertylodge
My last commission of 2014
A dear friend's sister commissioned me to make this...
silvamae
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™