Single hung windows, metal rods

bookboyMarch 5, 2012

I'm sure I'm making this difficult to understand, bear with me....I've just bought an early 1950s Cape Cod home. It's been beautifully maintained (if a bit dated), one owner, the home has its original wood framed single hung sash windows.

The windows are in great condition, all moving freely and stay in place. The previous owner painted the 'rods'in the upper sash, the lower sash rides on these rods while being opened (I'm sure these are not called rods but for lack of a better description....). The rods seems to be metal, aluminum?

Unfortunately they were painted and are now flaking, look terrible, Rather than scraping what's loose and painting once again I'd like to strip these and leave them in their natural state which appears to be black or at least very dark.

Does anyone know what metal these are typically? Best means of stripping without damaging?

Thanks very much

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GulfBreezeWindows

pictures would be helpful, but they are probably aluminum.

I have seen some old windows with iron guides in them, but only once in my lifetime.

Strip them with a light paint remover. I'd start with thinner or Acetone (sp?). and go from there. Test on a piece first to make sure they don't tear up the rods.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 8:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bookboy

Thanks very much! I will give that a try. Fine old windows, great condition except for this, is too bad previous owners painted them and now flaking badly.

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
Window Decision Time
Hi all, First, let me thank all of you for the information...
Chris
Looking for recomendations re: replacing sliding patio doors in MN
As the title says, I'm researching replacement our...
billpw
Quick advice re: matching door and window grills & transom size
I have french doors sitting between two sets of side...
happyallison
Fiberglass Windows from Hardie????
We need to replace 3 windows in our family room. ...
dancingqueengw
Contractor introduced me to yet another window, Vi Win Tech windows???
A building contractor we are using for a garage guesthouse...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™