CFL bulb Flickers in track lighting

obrionusaJanuary 17, 2012

I have some track lighting on my ceiling and its wired into a wall timer switch. Some of the bulbs flicker occassionally while in use. Some of the bulbs do it when its off too. Any ideas? I put another brand cfl thinking it was the bulb and it doesnt help. It only does it with a cfl, It doesnt do it with the older type bulbs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

While this is not the season for air conditioning, fluorescents located near AC vents often will flicker when the cold air blows on them. Is your wall timer electronic? Digital display? That may be the problem.

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 9:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"I have some track lighting on my ceiling and its wired into a wall timer switch."

Unless the time has mechanical contacts and not a solid state switch it is distorting the voltage waveform just like a dimmer.
It also leaks a small amount of current even in the off state.
This can cause compact florescent lights to slowly build up enough charge to try and light, then quickly shut down when the charge is used.
The lights appear to 'flash' on (actually the striking circuit trying to get the bulb running) but without enough current available they cannot stay on.
If the other lights are low voltage their power supplies may also be having problems with a distorted waveform.

You should never run compact florescent lights or any type of low voltage lighting on a dimmer or solid state switch that is not listed by the light manufacturer as suitable.

It can damage the power supplies and lead to overheating and even fires.

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™