New to mosaics & questions
This is my first post, though I have been doing a lot of research, reading, and looking at your wonderful project pics on the forum. I'm so impressed with the talent and creativity of this group! You all have really inspired me to get busy with some projects.
20+ years ago, I dabbled in stained glass, but due to kids, life, etc., set it aside. I saw some mosaic pieces, and decided to dust off my supplies and give it a try. I had a round window cut out that was the perfect size to turn into a birdbath using a 16" terracotta saucer. I just replaced the clear rippled background with some sky blue opaque glass for tessarae, cut in various shapes, and now have the bottom of the birdbath complete.
I hope you all don't mind some questions as I go through this process? The questions that I have (so far!) are:
1. Tips on tile cutting: I bought some 3/4" italian mosaic tiles that I want to use for the inner sides and top edge of the birdbath. I have the wheeled nippers, but am having difficulty cutting these tiles in half and keeping a uniform even size. Any tips on this, or should I just not worry about them being "the same"?
2. Tips on choosing grout color: Any tips on selecting grout color? Since this piece has a light blue "sky" background, I don't think I want to go with black (but maybe I do?)? I worry that with the soft colors in the glass, the piece will "wash out" if I use a light color. I read on a mosaic site that a "silver" (I'm assuming a medium grey) works with just about anything. This panel has blue sky, green hummingbird with red chest, soft purplish flowers and dark green leaves. Any thoughts?
3. Grout: Does anyone have any experience with the keracolor sanded grout from Lowe's? If not, any favorite?
4. Caulk: I used the GE II clear caulk to apply the glass. In some places, there is a little caulk on the bottom of the terra cotta saucer (I cleaned off the top and any that ws between the glass with a razorblade. How about little spots where I got it on the saucer? Will the grout stick okay, or does every little bit of caulk need to be removed?
5. Any particular type of sealer that people like the best?
6. Do you all typically mosaic the outside of the rim and outside of the saucer, or just leave it terra cotta?
7. Any suggested "stands" for the 16" saucer? I don't think I'm ready to mosaic a pedestal, so if you have any ideas for metal stands or bases that the saucer would fit into, that would be great.
Thanks, and sorry for all my dumb questions! Look forward to sharing posts with you all in the future!