need some expert advice.....

janieinmoJuly 10, 2010

Am new to all of this mosaic stuff. I have made some stepping stones and the glue I used was not intended for outdoor use. It is glue from mosaic mercantile (bought at Hobby Lobby). It did not say "not intended for outdoor use." I went to their website only to read that today, and 4 stepping stones ago that it is not intended for outdoor use. Since I have grouted and sealed and will not be leaving them outdoors in winter will they be alright? Please help!!! If my pieces are not going to be left out all year and will not be standing in water is regular glue okay??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvamae

Since you have grouted and sealed, they 'may' be okay. It seems to me that vertical surfaces are more susceptible to the tiles popping off (such as flower pots) and horizontal surfaces fare better. I think you have a good idea to bring them in for the winter, and you could re-seal the grout periodically also. For future, I would use thinset as the adhesive. Welcome to this forum, and welcome to the mosaic world!

Bookmark   July 10, 2010 at 11:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

The tiles w/fall off even if you bring them in for winter. The adhesive you've used is strictly for indoor projects, and w/not hold up outside, even grouted and sealed. Ditto on SILVA's advice for thinset adhesive. Welcome.

Bookmark   July 10, 2010 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
Help! Newbie Ballchain
Hi everyone new here! I want to incorporate ball chain...
KathyC55
What sort of grout for a birdbath?
I've mosaiced lots of stuff that lives outside but...
1wanderer
some mushrooms done
Hi, Here's some mushrooms that I made and mosaic'd....
lyndalu
acrylic sheet
Hello all I have dabbled in other media like oil and...
bicem
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™