What would you do? Keep the same style or put in picture window?

onajourneyMarch 20, 2011

We have decided to replace the 2 windows in our living room. Original 1987, single hung wooden sash windows.

Looking at all vinyl single or double hung sash windows. At the same time, the room is north facing and very dark, only these 2 windows to add light. Thinking maybe it would be a good idea to open up the space and put in a larger picture window. Would require removal of brick between the 2 existing windows to open it up. Outside is a covered porch, so probably not a bay window as it would protrude too much into the deck space, so possibly a picture window with 2 opening side panels. We are only planning on staying in this home for a few more years, is it a smart move to undergo the big picture window scenario or are we better to stick to the 2 original windows and save our money? I've read windows do not really pay back the cost, but do help to sell the home quicker. Thoughts? suggestions? Thanks for the input! PS the view from the front windows would be of a lovely old maple tree and landscaped gardens, so a nice view.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

If I was looking to buy a house, the picture window with 2 opening side panels would be something that make me want your house a lot more than if it just had 2 double hung. That is what I have, also on a north side, and with a covered front porch. Mine overlooks the 'front yard woods' and I enjoy it so much.

Show off that Maple tree and the landscaped garden.

I often wonder why so many newer homes don't have picture windows, but instead groups of 2 or 3 double hung. Are picture windows maybe 'out of style'?

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 9:03PM
More Discussions
Best Window for Seasonal Cabin
I am building a small cabin in northeast Wisconsin...
mjlambert08
pulley and weight window stuck open
I cannot get it closed even though I basically hang...
Cynna622
Love my New Front Door, But It's Still Cold in Entryway
I have my new steel entry door installed with new sidelites....
sahmmy_gw
Advice on replacement windows in CA? Anderson vs. Milgard?
We just bought a fixer upper that has 20+ year old...
FixerUpper18
Remove window film immediately?
My contractor has been installing my new Anderson Woodwright...
keys
Sponsored Products
Kendra Semi-Flushmount by Quoizel
$309.99 | Lumens
La Jolla 9 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Espresso Orange
$1,799.00 | LexMod
Jesper Office | 9000 Collection Office Desk with Return
YLiving.com
Michael McHale Designs | Crystal Gear Pendant
YLighting
R Series Architectural Bronze 18-Inch Outdoor Railroad Pendant with 24-Inch Stem
$177.78 | Bellacor
Addison ross bevelled mirror glass frame
Origin Crafts
Impression Sea Shell R1312, sample
Walls Republic
36-inch Recessed in the Wall Newberry Niche
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™