broken cam in simonton window (sears)

duk748March 23, 2010

hello - this weekend while clenaning the upper window on my double hung window i had the top half down - after tilting it in and cleaning it i snapped it back into the frame & started to push the window back up & a piece that holds the window up inplace broke in the track in the side frame - now the top half of the window will only stay up if the window is closed & locked - i contacted simonton about this wanting to buy the parts but was told that i must contact sears to get parts or info - the windows are roughly 10-12 years old - would anyone have any info or help regarding how i can get parts - sears seems to have no clue about this

any help would be greatly apprecaited - thank you in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

First, I would check and make sure the cam is positioned properly. The cam is oval rather than round and a common problem homeowners have is closing the window without the pivot pin securely in the cam. If this is the problem, all you need is a large flathead screwdriver to insert into the cam and twist it counter-clockwise.

If that's not the problem, I would just contact a local Simonto distributor who can be found by using the "dealer locator" on Simonton's website. Simonton has used the same "Denny Clip" on all their double-hung windows since 1980 so any Simonton dealer should be able to provide you with one.

I would also press Sears to fix it as I believe their warranty covers this type of repair. You will need to find you local Sears contractor. Don't try and get it fixed through a Sears retail store.

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 7:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duk748

hello again & thank you so much for the help - i really do not know if the cam is the right part - i have a broken piece laying in the inside sill that i could post a pic of to make sure - it sounds like the denny clip is what i want - it has been a b____ trying to get some help & so glad this forum exists w/ such good people on board - i dread dealing w/ sears though - once again i thank you

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 8:08PM
More Discussions
Okna vs. Simonton for bow window
Hi, I'm hoping someone can provide some insights with...
rirae
Dual pane window retrofit, for sound blocking, question on thickness.
Been looking at options on vinyl windows with better...
mystrwizard
pulley and weight window stuck open
I cannot get it closed even though I basically hang...
Cynna622
French Door Advice (looking for affordable alternative)
We are looking to replace a sliding door with a french...
state00
Storm doors with hidden built-in screens?
I'm considering doing something "strange,"...
texasgal47
Sponsored Products
Glass/Window Cleaner
$5.99 | zulily
Bell Swag Pendant by De Majo
$394.91 | Lumens
Josephine Bench
$599.00 | FRONTGATE
Cambridge Garnet Red Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Hughes Leather Chair - Brighton Black Black
Joybird Furniture