Recipes with wine

jsbabygirl06(Zone 8)December 7, 2008

I am looking for drink recipes to use with wine, I have both a sweet red wine and semi sweet white wine from a local winery.

I have to admit I have not yet learned to appreciate wine...lol but I am trying

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coffeehaus(7a Central VA)

Having just returned from our annual December pilgrimage to Munich where we renewed our love for "Gluewein" (and beer!), I've been making a batch every week. Gluewein is the hot, spiced red or white wine sold at every Cristkindlemarkt in all of the burgs and dorfs in Germany, and translates to something like "Glow Wine". It is such a treat to warm you up in cold weather! If you are making it in large quantities (i.e. for a party) use a crockpot. Here's my version:

In a medium saucepan on low heat, mix together 2 c water, 1/2 c sugar, 1 stick of cinnamon (crumbled), and 5-6 whole cloves. Simmer for at least 10-20 min. to bring out the spice flavors.
Add the rind and juice of one orange and one lime or lemon. Simmer for another 10-20 min. (or longer).
Add one bottle of inexpensive red wine (or white, if you prefer) and heat but DO NOT BOIL!
You can use a strainer or slotted spoon to remove the rinds and spices. Serve hot in cups. Zum Volle!

This is the perfect recipe for some of the boxed supermarket wines. I've been using Banrock Station Merlot. Don't use the good stuff here...it won't be appreciated. You can also refrigerate it and reheat in the microwave. For an extra punch, add a bit of "schnapps" or liquor such as rum, to the cup before serving.

Bookmark   December 14, 2008 at 6:53AM
More Discussions
any additive/chemical-free wines?
I did an internet search to see if any country forbade...
usafarmer
Bottling Dandelion Wine
I have never made wine before, but THIS is the year...
kriswrite
Seek advice for edible Climbing Grapes Vines?
I am thinking of two locations. One as a passive fence...
bertman_gw
Suggestions for reliable Black Wine selling location
My grandfather is coming to town next week and he is...
Topectepech1944
peach wine problem
I am making some peach wine for the first time and...
woody64
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™