Oak Leaf Wine- steal of the season?

kandm(8b coastal alabama)November 28, 2008

I recently tried a bottle of Oak Leaf Pinot Grigio Chardonnay. When I bought it I wasn't expecting much, I was mostly just curious. Surprisingly it turned out to be pretty good wine. After doing some research I discovered the brand has won several awards. For example, it won a gold medal at the prestigious Florida State International Wine Competition and Silver and Bronze at the 2008 San Francisco Wine Competition. It was also rated the steal of the season this Summer by O magazine.

You're probably not very impressed with any of this but the best part is that I found Oak Leaf at WalMart for $3. Apparently the brand makes 5 varieties, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio/Chardonnay and White Zinfandel. If you try one sometime drop a line.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jdbillp

Happy Birthday

Bookmark   November 30, 2008 at 2:41PM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

I also bought some...a cab. I was expecting some wine snob house guests and I just put it in with the rest of the $12 to
$15 reds.They opened it and drank some....and I never mentioned where I got it!! I asked how it was....the answer was "It's fine!"...and I tasted it and it was OK....lots better than a few $15 to $20 wines I have tasted.
Not as good as Charles Shaw...but good enough for cooking....and I suspect that soem are better than others.
Linda C

Bookmark   December 5, 2008 at 3:32PM
kelly_nettles_yahoo_com

The first time i tried the oak leaf brand . I had the merlot and to my surprise it was so much better than most expensive wines that i have sampled. My favorite is the sweet red, and for $3 dollars you cant beat it.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 12:14AM
nklanham_yahoo_com

One of my best friends who owns a high-end spa and lives a relatively nice affluent life style that most would only dream of..... offers wine, soft drinks, waters etc. to clients. Due to the growing demand of the wine, she had to find a resonable solution to the expense of serving wine. By chance, she met a wine vendor who told her about Oak Leaf. She tried it and then began to buy it by the case for work, parties, beach trips etc. Thanks to her, I am now hooked. I have had $80.00 bottles of that did nothing more than this brand, but drain my wallet. I do enjoy the finer things in life but have no problem with being open about a bargin. The only disappointment is that I can only find it at Walmart. Depending upon the location, it is anywhere from 2.77 to 2.95 a bottle. I enjoy a glass of wine to unwind but consider it a guilty financial pleasure....to which luckily is no longer guilty; how could it be at that price!?! If your friends turn a blind eye or snub you because of buying this inexpensive wine, maybe you need to
re-evaluate the core of your friendships, not your wine.

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 1:29AM
More Discussions
peach wine problem
I am making some peach wine for the first time and...
woody64
moving old grape vines
We live in my husband's grandmother's house and the...
martienne17
Seek advice for edible Climbing Grapes Vines?
I am thinking of two locations. One as a passive fence...
bertman_gw
planting chardonnay grape vines
I am going to plant some chardonnay wine grape vines...
sierravista
What's your favorite cheap wine?
The Wal-Mart has inspired me to ask this question. Specifically,...
cecilia_md7a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™