Bottled wine has sedament

susanmaxNovember 27, 2008

We just bottled our first batch of homemade wine and after sitting overnight, there is sedament on the bottom. Any idea's? We followed directions carefully and I'm not sure if this means it is fermenting again or what!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
makalu_gw(z5b NY)

It doesn't sound like it's started fermenting again ... that would take longer to create a sediment on the bottom. What sounds a bit more likely is that one of a few things happened:

- You bottled directly from your secondary fermenter and the bottling tube sucked up a little sediment from the bottom of that carboy

- The wine wasn't completely clear and the turbulence of transferring / racking it from the secondary to a temporary carboy and then bottling caused whatever small bits that were in the wine to settle out

- You filtered the wine with a coarse filter (or maybe even some varieties of fine filter pads) and didn't catch all the particles.

If you're really worried that it's still fermenting, move a bottle to a warm (70 degrees ish) place for a few days and then open it - if it's fizzy the wine's still going. Even many of the best vineyard made wines throw a sediment over time, just slowly pour into a decanter before you serve it so that you leave the sediment at the bottom of the bottle and you should be fine.

Bookmark   November 28, 2008 at 8:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

Did you rack it into several containers before bottling it? If you rack it over into a clean container and give it a week or two to settle out, and you do that a few times, then everything settles out before you bottle it.

Bookmark   January 8, 2009 at 8:08AM
More Discussions
Wine room - how to deal with heat/ac ducts
I have a small room (8 x 10) in the basement of my...
daf999999
moving old grape vines
We live in my husband's grandmother's house and the...
martienne17
Blueberry Wine
My wife is going to try her hand a making some blueberry...
blueboy1977
peach wine problem
I am making some peach wine for the first time and...
woody64
any additive/chemical-free wines?
I did an internet search to see if any country forbade...
usafarmer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™