wine making

sheryl_ontario(Muncho Lake, BC z2)November 3, 2011

Not much left outside for me to make wine with now, either. The marked down produce at the grocery store is always interesting, however.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
happyday(WI4a)

Glad to see some activity here. I just tried making wine with butternut squash and pumpkin. Didn't get much juice out of them so have a pot of pulp draining with peptic enzyme and bread yeast in it. Still not getting much breakdown of the pulp.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 1:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheryl_ontario(Muncho Lake, BC z2)

I am planning to make a one gallon batch of pumpkin/winter squash wine this fall, if I have the time. I will be using Hopi Black squash for this, since it's our favourite! I would have frozen the raw squash first to get more juice out of it. I always freeze everything before I make wine with it. I will also bring it to a boil before using it and let it steep in the boiling water for 36-48 hours, then make the wine. Because I don't use sulphite, the boiling is important but is also extracts a lot of the flavour from the raw material, as does the freezing.

Let me konw how it turns out. This will be my first pumpkin wine! I have made a lot of experimental wines this year.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
Powdery Mildew
Hello, I am wondering what would the best powdery mildew...
Kit.578
Wine Fridge Recommendation?
Hello - I am going to bite the bullet and buy a wine...
pwellsy
What are these grapes?
A friend bought these at Market Basket in Boston. They...
Sandiasingh
Seek advice for edible Climbing Grapes Vines?
I am thinking of two locations. One as a passive fence...
bertman_gw
planting chardonnay grape vines
I am going to plant some chardonnay wine grape vines...
sierravista
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™