A hardy kiwi melomel ?

little_rhody(z6b RI)October 4, 2006

Hello,

I am getting a batch of honey from my brother next weekend (he's a bee keeper), and my hardy kiwis are ripe. I want make a kiwi melomel. I have a recipe from "Making Wines and Meads", that calls for the traditional fuzzy kiwi peeled. I plan to use the hardy kiwi unpeeled. The recipe also calls for 3 tsp acid blend. Any thoughts on adjusting a recipe to suit the hardy kiwi? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks in advance,

Carolyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
makalu_gw(z5b NY)

I've never made a kiwi melomel but I'd think that you could substitute the hardy for traditional without too much problems. I know that with peaches, it's better to peel the fuzz off because it is an absolute pain in the neck to get the fuzz out of suspension after fermentation and it costs at least another racking to get it to drop clear (or a lot more time than I'm willing to give it) so I'd guess that that's the difference.

Kiwis are pretty acidic to begin with so I'm surprised that the recipe still wants acid blend. I'd probably skip the acid blend in the primary and adjust somewhere after the first racking if you find that the taste is thin or otherwise not to your liking. You could also titrate the mead to figure the total acidity and shooot for a number around .6% - .7% if you like to be exact but I usually go with taste alone.

Bookmark   October 6, 2006 at 6:29AM
little_rhody(z6b RI)

Makalu,

Thanks for your response. I'm pretty new at this and haven't tested a must for acidity. Anyway I think you are right about kiwis being acidic and I would think that hardy kiwis are even more acidic, especially if I don't peel them (thay are not fuzzy). So I think I will reduce the acid blend and hope for the best.

Thanks ,

Carolyn

Bookmark   October 6, 2006 at 11:18AM
ian_pairowoodies_com

I made a kiwi melomel back in 2006 and just bottled it the other day. I used this recipe which is based on the one in the book.

I am glad I added the acid blend - and I can tell you that this beverage chilled is just.. awesome! If I had known it would be so good, I would have made ten gallons!

I actually made three gallons and my beekeeper client is going to bring me more honey so that I can start another large batch of it. It's one of the best fermented honey based drinks I've made and tasted.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
planting chardonnay grape vines
I am going to plant some chardonnay wine grape vines...
sierravista
any additive/chemical-free wines?
I did an internet search to see if any country forbade...
usafarmer
Bottling Dandelion Wine
I have never made wine before, but THIS is the year...
kriswrite
Brenda Steinberg Bakersfield
Hello everybody!!!! I'm Brenda Steinberg Bakersfield from...
ingatkah
making wine jelly
My 2011 homegrown grape wines are wonderful- I don't...
cleocrafta
Sponsored Products
Hinkley Lighting 16571MZ Hardy Island Bronze Landscape Flood Light
Littman Bros Lighting
Hinkley Hardy Island LED Matte Bronze Deck Light
$94.91 | Lamps Plus
Simple Living Carson 5-piece Dining Set
Overstock.com
Armen Living Antique Brown Chair with Natural Jute and Accent Nails - LC10791BR
$649.00 | Hayneedle
Pre-owned D'Orsay Window by Artist Hardie Cobbs
Chairish
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs South Beach Kiwi 5 ft. x 7 ft.
Home Depot
Feza Gray and Blue Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$322.00 | Bellacor
Sugar Bowl Pendant Lamp
$169.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™