Grape Vine Removal and Replanting

jimla(Z6 PA)October 28, 2008

I have 10 Chambourcin vines about 8 years old that I want to remove and replant with another variety. What is the best way to remove them? They are woody, about 1-1.5 inches in diameter. They are vigorous but do not have the time to follow the proper spray regimen. As a result in all but 2 years black rot has claimed the crop before harvest. I would like to replant with U of MN winter hardy table and seedlees grapes. Should I just cut them a few inches above the ground then use a stump killer? If so, is it too late now that they are dropping leaves and going dormant? If chemical is the way to go and it should be a spring application painted on the stump, can I replant next to it? I am sure root system removal is not possible and even with chemical treatment they may continue to sprout for a while. Is there another way?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
makalu_gw(z5b NY)

I've never actually removed a grape vine, roots and all. I'd think that cutting followed by stump killer in spring when the vine is starting growth or cutting higher up and trying to pull out with some chain and a pickup truck could work. You might want to cross post this to the Fruits and Orchards forum since they have many more growers over there and maybe they have a better way.

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 7:25AM
interior_d

I may be a bit late but what about grafting another varietal on the existing trunks?

Bookmark   November 22, 2008 at 7:09PM
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

we moved some of ours with a trenching bucket on the skid loader, and relocated them last year to another place in the yard. They didn't come up at all in the old place again.
But they did actually produce a very small amount of grapes in the new location last summer. They were about 7 years old and very woody. So I'd suggest dig or pull them up with a tractor or truck.

Bookmark   January 8, 2009 at 8:10AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

That movie "A walk in the Clouds," is about a vineyard that catches fire. The family is devastated because they brought the old stock from Italy, and it got destroyed. One scene, our hero pulls and pushes and gets the burnt stump out of the ground. The old grandpa takes a knife, and peels away the bark, and the inside is green! They all rejoice!!

I think if you could graft another varietal (like Interior D suggested) onto the root stock it may be easier and get you what you want.

Good luck!

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 1:32PM
jimla(Z6 PA)

Thanks for the grafting suggestion. I have a seeded concord that does well so I could do my pruning and save some for the grafts. I would also like to try other varieties particularly those like Marquette or Jupiter which are more reistance to cold and disease. Any suggestions where I could get cuttings to graft? I can buy 2 year rooted plants but do the nurserys like AA sell just cuttings? Could I buy a rooted plant and use just the top in the graft?
Thanks

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 6:52PM
More Discussions
making wine jelly
My 2011 homegrown grape wines are wonderful- I don't...
cleocrafta
Peach Wine
Something new for me...found a recipe online to take...
jillhk
A source for new 2L pop bottles?
Hi all! I would like to purchase around 100 new bottles...
Konrad___far_north
moving old grape vines
We live in my husband's grandmother's house and the...
martienne17
peach wine problem
I am making some peach wine for the first time and...
woody64
Sponsored Products
Grape Harvest Bold Stripe Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Personalized Vino Bell Plaque
Grandin Road
Korver Chair - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Area Rug: Gardena Plum 8' x 11'
Home Depot
Prismatic Purple and Green Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$199.00 | Bellacor