Mead recipes

garbird(zone6 KY)September 6, 2006

Does anyone here make drinkable meads? I have tried several different recipes and always come up with something simmilar to Listerine. I'm a beekeeper and a homebrewer and would like to try again to make a mead like the ones we get at some of the local microbrew establishments here in town, but have'nt found the magic so far. Anyone have any tips or great secret recipes to share with us? Please Let us know, Thanks, Garbird

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
makalu_gw(z5b NY)

Tasting like listerine sounds like a potential issue on sanitization, sitting on the lees too long or yeast fermentation temperatures but that's just a guess. Since you're a beekeeper and probably using your own honey (which sounds awesome!), you'll also have to take into account a short boil of the honey must to help remove any parts / pollen / etc. that didn't come out in the filtering process that could also be the source of some off flavors.

What kinds of mead (pure / show, cysers, metheglins, etc.) and levels of sweetness do you like in a mead? Based on your preferences, I've probably got several different recipes that would do. I've a homebrewer and meadmaker and have been doing it for over 10 years. I do blow up the occasional batch (braggots and I are not good friends ;) but overall they are very drinkable and I keep getting requests for many more bottles and flavors.

Bookmark   September 9, 2006 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
Powdery Mildew
Hello, I am wondering what would the best powdery mildew...
Kit.578
Wine room - how to deal with heat/ac ducts
I have a small room (8 x 10) in the basement of my...
daf999999
Passive wine cellar with XPS - condensation problem
I am building a passive wine cellar in a basement cold...
andrewzytic
Brenda Steinberg Bakersfield
Hello everybody!!!! I'm Brenda Steinberg Bakersfield from...
ingatkah
Seek advice for edible Climbing Grapes Vines?
I am thinking of two locations. One as a passive fence...
bertman_gw
Sponsored Products
WallCandy 22.5 x 18 in. Big Apple Chalkboard Decal - BA01
$32.99 | Hayneedle
Handmade Tamales - ASSORTED
$92.00 | Horchow
Calphalon 1793835 4 qt. Kitchen Electrics Digital Slow Cooker - 1793835
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Denby Jet Oven to Table Curved Casserole - OTJ-588
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Breville Custom Loaf Bread Maker
$249.95 | FRONTGATE