Polymer clay gloss/varnish/sealer

mermaidmosaicsJuly 21, 2008

I have been dissecting and soaking up Laurie Mika's book and notice she uses Sculpey glaze or varnish. Problem is I searched all over the internet, and it appears that Sculpey is doing away with that glaze and have something called studio sculpey, some folks say it isn't the same thing but company says it is. so..

question is what do any of you use to seal your clay projects?? That stuff is expensive for a single ounce or two. Thanks..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mermaidmosaics

You can tell it's Monday morning because I just looked through NT's tutorial and answered my own question. She uses Future floor varnish.. so going to look into that, anybody use anything else??

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 9:16AM
shrty411

I use Future, too. I think ...and I'm not real sure, that some use varathane (?) I think it's a varnish...but not a cheap alternative

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 9:32PM
texasfern

You and I are on the same page, so to speak Linda.
I am reading her book cover to cover.
I could kiss you for sending this to me!
I am compiling a list of questions, mostly about substitues.
Did you read where you can use eyeshadow instead of that Mica stuff?
Cool!
I made a note of the floor wax.
Thanks ya'll.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 11:17PM
mermaidmosaics

Hey Pat (Texas)
Isn't that book FANTASTIC, i don't think I have ever devoured a craft book like this. Yes, sadly thinking I just threw out all my old eye shadow that had been sitting around here for years!!

We have to thank Slow and NT and a few others for telling me about her book!! It just speaks to me. I made my first words today, not to bad will post with my WIP I'm making for my Mom.

I feel like I am back in kindergarden and loving it. Pat, I bought the word stamps from Delphi that NT uses in her tutorial, I can send you the link if you want. And SLow mentioned there are many other places to get different ones. Right now I am fighting another migraine or I would be posting the pix of my wip

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 11:28PM
texaswild

I use polyurethene to seal my tiles. I should say when I USED to make clay tiles. I just can't seem to get back into clay lately. I've forgotten where I used to order a lot of supplies, but here's one.
rubber stamps and other stuff

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 9:28AM
mermaidmosaics

Thanks Slow, I found that link and clipped one of your older messages when you gave that link and one for the mexican nicho's.

I am having fun with the clay but really need to practice, going to take awhile but it is fun. How come you stopped??

There really isn't enough time in the day to do everything is there? 'cept, I think you are doing mixed media mosaics anyway, with the Slow flair.

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 2:37PM
More Discussions
I have been making some mirrors...
I am enjoying looking at all of your mosaics and I...
angs_pool
Help! Newbie Ballchain
Hi everyone new here! I want to incorporate ball chain...
KathyC55
acrylic sheet
Hello all I have dabbled in other media like oil and...
bicem
bicem
Hi, bicem, you posted a mosaic question on the "conversation"...
silvamae
Clock
Finished recently
wackyweeder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™